Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #321 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
If that's the case he should specify and say he's only talking about that small section of society. He doesn't. You might as well say "some cops are corrupt equals all cops are corrupt." If you don't single out the section you're talking about, and have a problem with, then you obviously invite the belief you're talking about the whole of housewifedom, or whatever.

I'll concede that there are "trophy wives" like the real housewives etc who do little but look after themselves and while away their time and money, but the vast majority of housewives are hardworking, underappreciated women and to put them down on the basis that "some" are the type you say is dishonest and unclear. As I say, if he's talking about THOSE sort of housewives let him make himself clear. I don't think he is: I think he's intimating that anyone who stays at home all day is lazy, never mind the fact that she (or he) may work their back off while the other half is at the office, on the rig, in the air, behind the wheel, whatever. Just because you don't work in an office and have a recognised job does not make you lazy and it's certainly no easy job being a, let's say, proper housewife.

So let 216 stand up and say if this is what he means, otherwise all my comments stand and I have a serious problem with him putting down the great work done by housewives and mothers all over this fair planet of ours.


^^^^ This

I woulda said that if I wasn't distracted by the Sesahawks/Colts game. Really. I just posted a surperhypermega condensed version of this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #322 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

inb4 aint takin the bait thx 4 tryin gais
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #323 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

herp derp feminism look at all the honeyzzz I get gais
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #324 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
If that's the case he should specify and say he's only talking about that small section of society. He doesn't. You might as well say "some cops are corrupt equals all cops are corrupt." If you don't single out the section you're talking about, and have a problem with, then you obviously invite the belief you're talking about the whole of housewifedom, or whatever.

I'll concede that there are "trophy wives" like the real housewives etc who do little but look after themselves and while away their time and money, but the vast majority of housewives are hardworking, underappreciated women and to put them down on the basis that "some" are the type you say is dishonest and unclear. As I say, if he's talking about THOSE sort of housewives let him make himself clear. I don't think he is: I think he's intimating that anyone who stays at home all day is lazy, never mind the fact that she (or he) may work their back off while the other half is at the office, on the rig, in the air, behind the wheel, whatever. Just because you don't work in an office and have a recognised job does not make you lazy and it's certainly no easy job being a, let's say, proper housewife.

So let 216 stand up and say if this is what he means, otherwise all my comments stand and I have a serious problem with him putting down the great work done by housewives and mothers all over this fair planet of ours.
I'm not trying to stand up for him but it comes off so clearly like he's talking more about trophy wives than just regular housewives but he could also be lumping them all together who knows.

Just like you are willing to assume the worst and think he's only talking about those hardworking wives.

I'm going to go ahead an assume he's talking more about trophy housewives that don't have any obligations.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #325 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

No, I'm afraid that's not it at all. Look at his quote here taken in context with what he's speaking about:

and you know we can ust disagree on a housewife bein a hard job or whatever, i think you are really over dramatizin. surely its work, but cmon you can be in your pajamas all day and sit around and relax wheneve ryou want, flip on the tv, eat a snack whenever, etc. its just not on par for a "regular' job to me. i cant put them on the same level

" Surely it's work" --- a small condescension that says, yeah ok maybe it's a job but --- "you can be in your pajamas all day and sit around and relax wheneve ryou want" --- giving the impression this is what people do: I don't know how he thinks the housework gets done if this is what wives are doing!

"its just not on par for a "regular' job to me." This bit I agree with. It's not on a par with a regular job. It's longer hours, less appreciation, less money and takes far more committment. Plus you can't jack it in if you get bored or get the hump with your boss, and nobody will headhunt you for a better job.

There's nothing in 216's comments anywhere I can see that relates to "trophy wives". He is, to me, from what I can read, taking all housewives together as a unit and quite honestly saying that they're lazy because they don't bother to go out and get a "real" job. I'd like to see him try to run a house. I try, and fail miserably, and I have only one other person (and three cats) to consider. I use the example of my ma which really helps, but at times I feel like I'm drowning. And I get paid the very same as some nomark who sits around all day watching TV and playing videogames or holding up streetcorners. You can see why I identify so closely with the plight of the housewife and why I'm refuting so strongly 216's contentions here. To a very small degree, I know what it's like. Though I don't really.

My hat is off to anyone who runs a house. It's a thankless and endless job.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #326 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
If that's the case he should specify and say he's only talking about that small section of society. He doesn't. You might as well say "some cops are corrupt equals all cops are corrupt." If you don't single out the section you're talking about, and have a problem with, then you obviously invite the belief you're talking about the whole of housewifedom, or whatever.

I'll concede that there are "trophy wives" like the real housewives etc who do little but look after themselves and while away their time and money, but the vast majority of housewives are hardworking, underappreciated women and to put them down on the basis that "some" are the type you say is dishonest and unclear. As I say, if he's talking about THOSE sort of housewives let him make himself clear. I don't think he is: I think he's intimating that anyone who stays at home all day is lazy, never mind the fact that she (or he) may work their back off while the other half is at the office, on the rig, in the air, behind the wheel, whatever. Just because you don't work in an office and have a recognised job does not make you lazy and it's certainly no easy job being a, let's say, proper housewife.

So let 216 stand up and say if this is what he means, otherwise all my comments stand and I have a serious problem with him putting down the great work done by housewives and mothers all over this fair planet of ours.

im tryin to separate the lazy issue with the housewife issue. cause just regardless of reasons or anything, i just consider housewife to be an easier job than a 'real', paying job. i just do, and if you dont wanna agree to disagree on that, what can i tell ya. normal jobs you cant show up in comfy lounge clothes or flip on the tv, or sit down and watch a tv show, or take a cat nap, or play with your dog, etc. the list goes on but thats my point. honestly TH a lot of the stuff you are talkin abotu is just normal, expected stuff from any parent - takin care of a sick kid, makin meals, etc. thats just standard stuff that every household does and i feel like you are paintin a picture of a frantic housewife sprintin around the house, cleanin every inch with a toothbrush til its immaculate, scrubbin the floors shiny, and doin everythin under the sun. and i feel like you are way over sellin what it entails and maybe thats your upbringing with it but i dont think its typical. one of my former client families had a housewife because their kid had mental issues, and she sat around drinkin wine whenever she wanted and ran some errands here and there. again, just one experience as an example and probably as representative as yours but cmon, im not gonna buy that idea youre sellin about a housewife actually bein harder than a real job. its not even close, look at all the comfy luxuries of stayin at home all the time which i just listed, not to mention any added pressures of worryin about gettin fired or messin up paperwork or someone else comin for your job, etc. how many times do you think ppl at work have thought 'man im really stressed, i wish i could sit down and just relax int he recliner for a few moments and have a drink'

plus its partly why after divorce, a woman's quality of life decreases while a man's increases. because a lot of women have relied on their man and they never learned skills or built a resume or networked, etc. thats a whole other topic but it popped into my head and again, thats just factual stuff

im not sayin all housewives are lazy either and i just said props to your mom. and i believe i said that sometimes its just the best choice for the family if you got someone disabled or financialyl it works out. trophy wives are absolutely the minimum but theres for sure more women who dont work because they dont have to than men. because their partner makes really good money and they wanna be lazy and live off their partner. there are women out there who i guess would be who im mainly referring to, who have slightly above average lives, with husbands who make slightly above average money that is enough for the family to live on one salary. those women could work and maybe send their kid to daycare and probably bring in more money for the family, but they choose not to. if they can still survive and life with one salary then good for them but thats bein lazy. thats a good hyppthetical of what im gettin at with the lazy thing

im sayin that society allows for women to be lazier than men. like who stays home more often a wife or husband?? i have a feelin the general feelins towards a man who doesnt work by choice would be negative and the thoughts towards a chick would be more of indifference

and not tryna offend your mom or burning downs mom but theres no other way to say these things so here i go. more about easy jobs and less about bein lazy. when a woman has very few skills, what are some jobs they usually take?? other than prostitute/sex worker its receptionist....secretary... babysitter... daycare... etc. because they just dont require a high skill level or a lot of certifications or qualifications (some daycares do and have to meet certain guidelines, depends on what kinda joint your runnin). when a man has little skills they usually do manual labor type jobs. those jobs are harder and they pay more, usually, and they should

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
No, I'm afraid that's not it at all. Look at his quote here taken in context with what he's speaking about:

and you know we can ust disagree on a housewife bein a hard job or whatever, i think you are really over dramatizin. surely its work, but cmon you can be in your pajamas all day and sit around and relax wheneve ryou want, flip on the tv, eat a snack whenever, etc. its just not on par for a "regular' job to me. i cant put them on the same level

" Surely it's work" --- a small condescension that says, yeah ok maybe it's a job but --- "you can be in your pajamas all day and sit around and relax wheneve ryou want" --- giving the impression this is what people do: I don't know how he thinks the housework gets done if this is what wives are doing!

"its just not on par for a "regular' job to me." This bit I agree with. It's not on a par with a regular job. It's longer hours, less appreciation, less money and takes far more committment. Plus you can't jack it in if you get bored or get the hump with your boss, and nobody will headhunt you for a better job.

There's nothing in 216's comments anywhere I can see that relates to "trophy wives". He is, to me, from what I can read, taking all housewives together as a unit and quite honestly saying that they're lazy because they don't bother to go out and get a "real" job. I'd like to see him try to run a house. I try, and fail miserably, and I have only one other person (and three cats) to consider. I use the example of my ma which really helps, but at times I feel like I'm drowning. And I get paid the very same as some nomark who sits around all day watching TV and playing videogames or holding up streetcorners. You can see why I identify so closely with the plight of the housewife and why I'm refuting so strongly 216's contentions here. To a very small degree, I know what it's like. Though I don't really.

My hat is off to anyone who runs a house. It's a thankless and endless job.
dude of course some housework gets done... but do you really think 8 hours worth of work around the house gets done every single day?? does a home require 40 hours of actual work per week? no way man, not even close and thats evident by the fact that most families have 2 workin parents and they manage to run their households just fine. i dont know too much about you but did see you mention a relative with disability so i cna imagine that requiring more work if thats part of it. is it thankless? im sure it is as im sure parenthood can often be thankless a lot of the time.

so not only are you putting real jobs and housewife on the same level, you are actually putting a housewife higher!! thats insanity to me man, it really is.

and herm cmon you know i reserve bait denial only for you cause youre a special unqiue snowflake
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #327 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,178
Default

When you say housework, what about all the repairs, fitting things and DIY that men typically do?

#ja
Fluff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #328 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
When you say housework, what about all the repairs, fitting things and DIY that men typically do?

#ja
the men still do it after workin their real jobs lol


not even tryna be snarky about it but really tho, who else is gonna fix the muffler or fix the screen door or refinish the deck
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #329 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post


not even tryna be snarky about it but really tho, who else is gonna fix the muffler or fix the screen door or refinish the deck
A woman that actually knows how to do that shit, it certainly won't be me. Either my lady will do it or I will call up a repair person to do it.

I'm not great with that handiwork bullshit.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #330 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
the men still do it after workin their real jobs lol


not even tryna be snarky about it but really tho, who else is gonna fix the muffler or fix the screen door or refinish the deck
+ Fixing cars, mowing the lawn, installing electricals...

I'd say most men in a typical husband/wife household share tasks such as washing the dishes, cooking and those types of things. And if the balance isn't fair, or one of them feels it isn't, that's your problem, has naff all to do with feminism or society, it's a problem in your house.
Fluff is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.