Music Banter - View Single Post - No punk today
Thread: No punk today
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #87 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
It was a disgrace. F-uck grunge and f-uck Seattle. Ten times worse than Detroit.
That is about a twenty years difference between the two scenes. Twenty years is a long time, and there a lot that can happen in that time, and a lot did happen for better and worse. So you have no qualms about genres in between those two scences say for example Disco, Day-glo 80s Pop, or Glam Metal but for whatever reason Seattle and Detroit rubs you the wrong way?

Quote:
Who is Thurston Moore? Cobain liked the Meat Puppets and that's fine--I liked them too. But he was no Curt Kirkwood.
Maybe he is (never heard of him) but does that mean Cobain is by extension?
Wow really? Are you serious? or are you phrasing that like a rhetorical question?

Quote:
It's not grunge I hate so much as the idiotic reaction to it. A-ssholes acted like they'd never heard music in their lives. They couldn't get enough of it and it put a lot of bands out of work that had been doing well. Suddenly, places wouldn't hire you if you couldn't play grunge s-hit. The problem for me was that it wasn't very musical. Punk generally wasn't either but it wasn't trying to be. Punk was conceived as anti-music. Grunge was just plain un-musical. Kurt Cobain was a hack. Couldn't play guitar to save his life and people think he's this great, tortured genius. S-hit, his guitar-playing and singing tortured me. Yet he became a musical hero to a generation who couldn't know decent playing if they heard it because, if they listened to Nirvana, they couldn't have heard it because Cobain blew. I wasn't going to play that junk. That was the end of my band days because you had to play grunge to get a gig and I wasn't having it. Grunge killed more scenes than it could ever have created what it did create was musically untalented.

One of my buddies loves Cobain and learned guitar from listening to him. All he knows are power barre chords--nothing else. Like Cobain, he can't play a lead riff. Listen to Nirvana, there's no leads not because they were against them but because Cobain couldn't play. When they did start putting leads into the songs, it was another guitarist they hired in.
Even if Kurt Cobain was the best playing lead guitar you can't fault him as a "hack" because he didn't pass himself off as the "greatest guitar you ever heard."

I don't think Grunge was unmusical - like it or lump it - it just had a different music sensibility about it.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote