Music Banter - View Single Post - No punk today
Thread: No punk today
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #105 (permalink)
GuD
Dude... What?

Does this sound ANYTHING like punk rock from the 70s? Does it sound like it wants to just make money by rehashing old sounds and filtering them through a poppy-lense to sell records, aided by swag-a-licious skinny jeans and a perfectly teased haircut?

What about this:

Or this:

Three completely different sounding punk bands with more or less the same ideoliges/values between each other as well as Television, The Ramones, or The Clash. These songs were released less than 5 years ago and are still relevant today, as are songs from punk's birth in the 70s.

You're attempting to discredit and diminish something pretty ****ing important to a lot of people and being straight up disrespectful in the process. You're contradicting yourself left and right, to the point where it's like you're trying to draw lines from 'Q' to '#4'. Punk Rock never died, it can't, it never even had a unified credo in the first place.

Dadaism? Really? You think a band like the Ramones or Buzzcocks gave a **** about DADA? Like, 90% of their songs are just about having a good time and girls. ****, Johnny Ramone was a REPUBLICAN WHO SUPPORTED REAGAN AND GEORGE BUSH (Sr. & Jr.). Granted, plenty of the more artsy punk bands such as BAUHAUS did love Dada, but that's not even close to being a defining attribute for every punk band ever. Even Peter Murphy says it was all BS:

Quote:
We were anti-rock 'n' roll and that might be pretentious but there's pretense in every aspect of art. It's all an act.
In the end, Punk means different things to different people and saying it's "dead" is akin to saying that what punk bands and their fans are doing is pointless. If that's your opinion, fine, but you really don't deserve to know anything about punk at all then.
And still people want me dead
~msc

Last edited by GuD; 10-13-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: maybe i took it too personally. toned it down a bit.
GuD is offline   Reply With Quote