Music Banter - View Single Post - No punk today
Thread: No punk today
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #106 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
How do you know what the Ramones were influenced by? Especially if they were from New York, which is home to about every art movement since Paris lost the title of world's art capital. And yes, that's where many of the dadaists went when the Nazis took over. That's where abstract expressionism was born--from dadaists--and it gave birth to political art movements and organizations such as Up Against the Wall Motherf-uckers who were from New York and they were some truly radical bastards--not the nicest people in the world either (picture Hell's Angels as a bunch of street-artists)--but their influence in the counter-culture is inestimable. Now, you're in a punk band playing all the cool clubs in New York, you're going to meet up with some wild, crazy people. I sure did playing in and around Detroit but then this area is the home of the SDS and similar political groups that, again, had a major impact on the counter-culture. I wouldn't assume the Ramones didn't meet people like that, I could almost guarantee they did. I'm sure if I did, they did. Who knows what all influenced them?
It is true that they may have met and it is possible that they could have got along, but a full on embrace from a bunch of kids whose only interests were sniffing glue, ****ing, and three chord progressions they could hardly play who were also extremely skeptical of people looking to tell them how things should be, so how much they consciously allowed influence to permeate. Also, I would think abstract expressionism would go back to cubism from around the first world war, but maybe that's nitpicking.

Also, the pop isn't too hard to hear in the Ramones' songwriting, but a list of influences are listed on their Wikipedia.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote