Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #113 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
Uhhh

I don't think there's anything immoral about wanting have children. Nor should anyone's morality be imposed on other people, as morality itself is relative. Just as uterus bearers should not be shamed for getting abortions, we shouldn't be shamed for wanting to bear children.
I don't think I'm explaining myself well.

I do not think that it is immoral to want to have children, nor do I think people with children are immoral people. I admit that it is natural. I don't think that you're an immoral person and it's not my intention to pass judgement or shame anyone for the decisions they make. Your body is your body and I have no right to tell you what to do with it whatsoever.

I don't, however, think that morality is relative, and this is where my antinatalist philosophy comes heavily into play.

Spoiler for Objective morality blah blah:
The driving force behind morality is causality. Everything, actions included, has consequences. I believe that it's our role to find those consequences and act accordingly. In finding what values are effected by any given action in its context, we are able to express a sound moral judgement on that action, i.e. this was a good thing to do, this was a bad thing to do. This is true regardless of your actual moral system. We all have our ethics, implicitly or explicitly. There are, though, very clearly objective moral principles on which any moral system relies.

The view of an antinatalist (I should disclaim here that there different forms of antinatalism, but I subscribe to the position called "pure antinatalism," and so anything I say in regards to the philosophy is in accordance with that position) is that in order to abide by the moral principles that exist we should each individuality set out to impose the least amount of suffering on other sentient beings as possible. All sentient beings, not just people.

Tl;dr - It really all boils down to simply this: Life is suffering. To impose life on a being is to impose suffering. Therefore, imposing life in an immoral action.

I reiterate that I do not consider child-bearers to be immoral people, it's much too complicated a situation to assign that judgement fairly or accurately. I do, however, think that the act of bringing a being into existence is an immoral action.

Everyone has and will continue to perform various immoral actions. It's an inevitability. It's the human experience. Having a child is just one of those offenses, not necessarily better or worse than any of the others.

I'm still not sure I'm making myself as clear as I hope to, but alas, it's early and I've only had one cup of coffee so far today. But I want to say again, Hermione, I do not think that you wanting to have children is immoral. You're one of the most morally sound people I know. You'd be a great mom, and I don't doubt that the majority of the parents on MB are good parents. My antinatalist philosophy just happens to prohibit me from having or wanting to have children. For me, it was as easy a decision as proclaiming myself vegetarian.

Anyway, poop and vomit and teething and stuff. Gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
If I ever want children (which I don't think I do) I would probably adopt, my mum was adopted and I really appreciate the great life my grandparents gave to her. I just don't see why I should have a kid when there's loads of children out there who don't have a home, mum or dad.
Yeah, absolutely, me as well. There are people who would make great parents and children everywhere who need them. I think that adoption is one of the most selfless acts a person can perform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote