Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #148 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
Better Never To Have Been?

I should point out I'm not laughing at your post, your opinions are as valid as anyones, but the title to David Benatar's book tickles me.

Yes, it's true that only existers suffer harm, but it is also true that only existers experience joy. As for his belief that optimists are being unrealistic, maybe so, but I suspect all human beings, no matter what they're philosophical tendencies, are out of touch with reality. We just ain't equipped with the right equipment to know what's really going on. And given the likelihood we're all fools, I'd sooner be a happy fool.
Damnit, Mr. Charlie, I'm trying to leave this topic - stop tempting me with philosophical debate. :P

To your assessment that only existers experience joy, my argument would be that while that is true, something that never exists can not be deprived. I'm glad you can find comfort in the likelihood that we are all happy fools but I cannot. Ignorance is not bliss - ignorance is ignorance, and ignorance is what I fight.

I am not Buddhist but I am familiar with the parable. While a lot of Buddha's teachings do resonate with me I cannot subscribe to the mindset. The parable is nice and fine but it's just an illustration of each of the master's respective ideologies. I understand the relevance but I don't believe in Nirvana so it doesn't have a lot of use to me in the given context.

I think that people are under the impression that I am arguing that there is no good in the world and I am unable to enjoy things - that is not the case (and yes, DJ, I am chronically depressed but I do not appreciate my views being written off as such). I'm not saying that everyone who finds life enjoyable is a happy fool. My philosophy merely prohibits me from assuming I have the right to impose existence onto another being. Yes, some people are born into good circumstances and some into bad. People raise good children and people raise bad children. Sometimes children grow up to help humanity and sometimes children grow up to shoot up a school (nature vs. nurture is another argument entirely that I will not approach at this time). Procreation is a gamble. It's Russian roulette, really, but rather than aiming the gun at yourself you're aiming it at your offspring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote