Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest/best current band in the world?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

I don't think there's been any groundbreaking rock bands since Nirvana. In a sense Nirvana was the last gasp of rock music's glory days and when Nirvana came out, rock n' roll was already losing ground on the charts to rap music and mainstream dance pop music.

Early in the 2000s I thought the Strokes might restore rock to it's rightful place but they fizzled out on their second album and never found a large audience for their music. Radiohead still has a large following but their experimental methodology is somewhat outside of the rock music framework. U-2 ran out of ideas after about 5 or 6 albums. R.E.M. also lost momentum toward the end of the 80s.

Most of the current pop music is either prefabricated girl/boy vocal groups, pretentious artpop singers like Madonna, Katie Perry and Lady Gaga, or former reality show competition winners... It's really a dismal music scene.

I hold on to the eternal hope that some magnificent rock band will come along and have the same seismic impact of the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, the Sex Pistols, the Clash or Nirvana. When the Beatles arrived in America in 1964, rock and roll was all but dead and over with and they revived the entire genre with one appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 12-06-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote