Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's all-time favourite albums ever (ever!)
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Because they're Iron Maiden. They're a metal band and not an avant-garde metal band. They've gone more progressive and they've experimented, but they've always been a pure metal band at heart and their albums are at their best when they reflect this. On later albums, and earlier albums in fact, they rectified this mistake.

And you've pretty much illustrated one of the great points many have said over and over again. With regard to the history of metal it is certainly an important, even a landmark album. But with hindsight and without the obscuring lens of nostalgia we can see that this isn't as great an album as it was once made out to be. Even you've said as much...

If you have to preface it with "For the given time" then you are tacitly admitting what I've already been saying. That in the present it's overrated.
You're insinuating that I think it's overrated? That I don't think it's as great now as it was when I first heard it? It still holds the same water for me as it did back in the early 80's. I thought I made that clear.