Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #285 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Anyone ever come across these guys?

It´s the band of Johnny Clegg, a white African who fell in love with the native music of Africa at a time when such an inter-racial enthusiasm was frowned upon. So, a very worthy guy who played his small part in the move towards integration. Today, though, especially when I hear some of his songs with English-language lyrics, it doesn´t feel as genuine as the material in FPK´s favourites thread, for instance. Any opinions?
I saw Juluka in Boston way back in the early 80s. Fantastic live show with some wild Soweto township style dancing. I also prefer Juluka's Zulu language music more than their music in English. It's very hard to find their Zula music because it wasn't as widely distributed as their English language music.

Johnny Clegg was so immersed in South African tribal culture he was nicknamed Le Zoulou Blanc ("The White Zulu"). The name Juluka is based on the Zulu word for "sweat". Because it was illegal for racially mixed bands to perform in South Africa during the apartheid era, their first album Universal Men received no air play on the state owned SABC, but it became a word-of-mouth hit.

Below is one of my favorite Juluka songs, Umfazi Omdala.