Music Banter - View Single Post - Beliefs
Thread: Beliefs
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mr. Charlie
Shoo Thoughts

Think of it as a discussion - not an argument, I ain't out to prove or disprove anything.

As for appearing vague and zen, I suspect you and I have different understandings regarding what zen is. It ain't some mystical condition, it ain't some loft wisdom, indeed it's closer to how a simpleton might operate; in short it's simply living in the moment and not subjecting it to mental conditions and abstractions. An exceedingly simple concept. But enough about zen, I might start sounding like I know what I'm talking about when I don't.

Religion has caused great damage, granted, but it also provides hope and solace. People use religion in different ways, saying it's good or saying it's bad is to see but half the picture. Those who take God into their hearts, in my experience, are tolerant souls full of humanity. The prophets I have read didn't promote hatred or bigotry or homophobia and any so-called religious person who uses God to promote hatred has missed the original message, has missed the essence of the teaching.

Furthermore, recent research suggests we are religious by nature, that part of our brain is wired for religious experiences, another study concluded that the religious live longer, happier lives than the non-religious. God, Dharma, Brahman, Tao, Nature, The Supreme Master, call it what you will, but it would seem there are genuine, real world benefits to believing in the divine.
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote