Music Banter - View Single Post - Beliefs
Thread: Beliefs
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
To believe in a fact we first have to know a fact is indeed fact. But to know whether a fact is a fact we have to experience it using something other than our own nervous system. And that's impossible.

Thus all knowledge, all facts, are nowt but subjective experiences. All we can ever do is explain how things seem to us because any description of something that fails to include the instrument used to take the measurement is incomplete. Everything is a transaction, an interaction.

Our senses, our brains, they filter and colour information, and yes it's a cliche, but we all create the reality we experience. Little wonder people believe in Gods, and I say let them, we all put our faith in illusions because reality is an illusion.
The problem with this kind of thinking is it basically leads nowhere. To say that since our perception might be imperfect, everything is equally subjective is to throw away the only tool we have at gauging reality. Maybe we can't obtain pure objectivity, but some things are closer to objective than others. Case in point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
Furthermore, recent research suggests we are religious by nature, that part of our brain is wired for religious experiences, another study concluded that the religious live longer, happier lives than the non-religious. God, Dharma, Brahman, Tao, Nature, The Supreme Master, call it what you will, but it would seem there are genuine, real world benefits to believing in the divine.
If you had no confidence in our ability to approach objectivity then citing any study that says anything at all would be absolutely pointless. I could negate your study with a simple "I don't believe that" and neither of us would be any closer to the truth.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote