Music Banter - View Single Post - Why such controversy on Nu Metal?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #160 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambival View Post
Well, I may be mistaken about Slayer copying Metallica, but Kerry King's words "[Show No Mercy] is "****in' Iron Maiden here and there" give me the impression that still some some copying was present, but is that really a bad thing? Sepultura "stole" Korn's sound on Roots with Korn's permission (guest apperances of Jonathan Davis and David Silveria), so Korn might have been flattered because of that. I truly think that Godsmack was heavily inspired by Alice in chains and all those similiarities are simply a homage.
There's a very fine line between stealing and borrowing and I guess the way to decide what is what, is to think have the band blended what they've copied into their own sound or just made an obvious copy.

Also a lot of bands like Metallica and Slayer came from the same scene and would've bounced ideas of each other, as that's how movements and scenes grow and develop in music and as Janszoon said above it's reciprocal.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote