Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #1660 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

A bit past midseason, so why not do one of these.

This is for who should win, not who I think will win.

Hart

Winner: Ben Bishop - It always seems like a cop-out to pick the goalie that is carrying his team, but I really have to this year. No Stamkos and the Lightning still haven't missed a beat.

Runner-Ups: Sidney Crosby - Don't think I really need to explain this one. He does have some help in Pittsburgh, but he's obviously the straw that stirs the drink.

Anze Kopitar - When you look at teams in playoff positions, I'm not sure if one specific player is doing more for his team than Kopitar. He's playing in a ll the key situations, and is giving a team that isn't known for goalscoring a legitimate top line threat. Teams like Boston and St. Louis are doing it more by committee, and teams like Anaheim, San Jose and Chicago have a few stars that are hard to differentiate between.

Lindsay

Winner: Sidney Crosby - So far ahead of the next best in terms of offense, while not exactly hurting his team on D.

Runner-Ups: Ben Bishop - See above; he's just having an exceptional season.

Ryan Getzlaf - I think he's somehow gone a bit under-the-radar this season. He's scoring on a record pace as well as setting things up and is contributing defensively as well.

Norris

Winner: Alex Pietrangelo - Him and Keith are the frontrunners, but I think he's having a more well-rounded season right now.

Runner-Ups: Duncan Keith - Can't argue against him; he's putting up more points than he ever has while still playing is strong defensive game.

Ryan Suter - He's heating up lately and you can't ignore the minutes he logs.

Vezina

Winner: Ben Bishop - See above...

Runner-Ups: Tuukka Rask - Has been very cold lately, but is still having a great season. If you ask me to project to the end of the season, he might be my favourite as I'm not sold on Bishop keeping this up all year.

Carey Price - His stats have plummeted lately, but he's still been in the discussion all year. Harding should get consideration as well, but unfortunately it looks like his shot at this will fall short with his illness.

Selke

Winner: Patrice Bergeron - There is simply nobody better as a two-way forward.

Runner-Ups: Anze Kopitar - Just having a magnificent season as a two-way forward, despite Brown struggling this year.

David Backes - Another nomination for the guy who has evolved into one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL.

Calder

Winner: Torey Krug - Yeah, he has some defensive deficiencies in his game, but he completely turned the Bruins PP around, and 11 goals for a rookie d-man at this point in the season is ridiculous. He's definitely cooled down though, so I'd bet on him being overtaken at the end of the season.

Runner-Ups: Nathan Mackinnon - I think he's done enough to earn this spot. I wasn't really sold on him coming in, but he's transitioned to the NHL better than most.

Chris Kreider - He was a guy who's development had been stagnant for a while, but he's breaking through in a big way right now.

Jack Adams

Winner: Jon Cooper - It's tough to win this award without drastically turning your team around, and that's exactly what Cooper has done.

Runner-Ups: Bruce Boudreau - The guy really knows how to win in the regular season. He's getting the most possible out of his roster.

Patrick Roy - Similar to Cooper, when you drastically turn your team's fortunes around, you're going to get a nomination.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote