Music Banter - View Single Post - The Golden Age of Reggae
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Straight From the Horse's Mouth

The story of reggae's finest drummer: Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace

I've never made a secret of the fact that Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace is my favorite drummer reggaewise or otherwise. He's played in hundreds of studio sessions and toured with Gregory Isaacs, the Roots Radics, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Yellowman and just about everybody who's anybody in reggae music.

Horsemouth is also the funniest and most intelligent reggae artist I've ever met. He's had me laughing to tears with some of his off-the-cuff observations about the absurdity of the world around him. He has an absolute attitude of joie de vivre toward everything in life.

The first video is a short drumming demonstration by Horsemouth

Horsemouth gave a short speech in a scene the 1978 movie Rockers. He told me there was no script and he ad-lib his lines in the first take.

In another scene from Rockers, Horsemouth is film with his dread bredren jammin' it down in de yard. Notice the song they're jamming on is Want To Make It With You, the 1970 hit by the pop group Bread.

The final live video is of Horsemouth sitting in with the American reggae group Groundation for a ravin' version of Bob Marley's Trenchtown Rock. The video captures Horsemouth's charismatic stage presence and his rock solid mastery of the one-drop drumming style.

Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote