Music Banter - View Single Post - All part of the genre? or, If you like this you must/should like this!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trillian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Just because I listen to a handful of bands who were instrumental in establishing a genre or bands in that genre that do something interesting with it doesn't necessary mean I want to listen to the thousands of unoriginal also-ran bands that crop up later on.
This. I tend to get more excited when I hear a band doing something new than I really feel a specific connection to a genre/sound. It doesn't have to be completely groundbreaking, but I at least want a fresh spin on SOMETHING when I hear a new band. It't the whole Led Zeppelin vs Wolfmother thing. I love shoegaze, but I don't want to listen to another Slowdive/MBV copycat.

Honestly, I have pretty decent amounts of music from most genres. Metal is the only one that comes to mind that I just can't get into, and that has more to do with the scene/attitude associated with the genre than the way the genre sounds, really. That and the fact that metal lyrics tend to be pretty terribad (and normally I'm not turned off by bad lyrics - they usually don't matter much to me at all). And that the bands and the fans take themselves so seriously.
Trillian is offline   Reply With Quote