Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default All part of the genre? or, If you like this you must/should like this!

Yeah, crap title I know: I'm tired.
Main idea is, from a point made in another thread, if you're into a specific genre should you reasonably be expected to like all or most of the bands in that genre? Or even subgenre? Like if you're into thrash metal, you probably love Metallica and Megadeth, but should you have to love Slayer? Or like me: big prog fan but there are bands I don't like who are considered a big part of the genre --- ELP, Yes to a degree, Jethro Tull --- and people generally think "Wow you like Genesis (say) but you don't like Tull (say)? Thought you were a prog fan! How can you not like Tull?" etc.

So the question is: should you feel, if you like, obligated to like or at least tolerate the "big bands" in your selected genre or genres, or is it acceptable and understandable to say "I like bands X and Y but not Z" and not expect to be stared at like you just arrived in the mothership?

Whaddyaz think? I have definitely come across this attitude (without any malice but sometimes with a little derision) in my chosen genre. Has it happened to you and if so what do you think about it?

Tell me in the morning: I'm for bed.
Someone invent a "sleeping" smiley please...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,633
Default

Well I'm into Anthrax, but not Slayer, if that helps.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Main idea is, from a point made in another thread, if you're into a specific genre should you reasonably be expected to like all or most of the bands in that genre? Or even subgenre? Like if you're into thrash metal, you probably love Metallica and Megadeth, but should you have to love Slayer?

...

So the question is: should you feel, if you like, obligated to like or at least tolerate the "big bands" in your selected genre or genres, or is it acceptable and understandable to say "I like bands X and Y but not Z" and not expect to be stared at like you just arrived in the mothership?
Not really, no. To use your example, I like thrash, and love Metallica and Slayer, but Megadeth bore me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

That's what I don't understand about prog heads. It seems to be a given that if you're into Genesis you must love Camel, or if you like Gentle Giant you must be a Yes fanatic, and you're looked at oddly if you say "I don't like Tarkus" or "Van der Graff Generator are a bit boring", and so on. I just like music because, well, I like it, not necessarily because it's in a genre I like. And I don't feel like making myself like it just because it's seen that I should...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

I don't even like all the members of particular Hip Hop collectives. So no.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Each individual listener can be quite fickle about exactly who they like and prefer to listen to. As for thrash, I can personally tolerate early Metallica but I don't care for any of the other thrash bands like
Slayer, Megadeth, and so on. Pantera
was always my pick out of all the thrash bands. And even then, I only like a few of their songs. As far as progressive rock goes, I've always prefers bands like Yes, Rush, and Supertramp. And a few other prog. bands from a particular era during the 70s.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
dca
Music Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 69
Default

re: prog. I like Gentle Giant, King Crimson, and Hatfield + The North. I can't listen to Genesis, Yes, ELP or Jethro Tull without getting a bit bored, even though they're obviously good at what they do, and no more or less 'prog' than the prog artists I do like.

I suppose it comes down to liking specific artists rather than specific genres?
dca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Just because I listen to a handful of bands who were instrumental in establishing a genre or bands in that genre that do something interesting with it doesn't necessary mean I want to listen to the thousands of unoriginal also-ran bands that crop up later on.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Trillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Just because I listen to a handful of bands who were instrumental in establishing a genre or bands in that genre that do something interesting with it doesn't necessary mean I want to listen to the thousands of unoriginal also-ran bands that crop up later on.
This. I tend to get more excited when I hear a band doing something new than I really feel a specific connection to a genre/sound. It doesn't have to be completely groundbreaking, but I at least want a fresh spin on SOMETHING when I hear a new band. It't the whole Led Zeppelin vs Wolfmother thing. I love shoegaze, but I don't want to listen to another Slowdive/MBV copycat.

Honestly, I have pretty decent amounts of music from most genres. Metal is the only one that comes to mind that I just can't get into, and that has more to do with the scene/attitude associated with the genre than the way the genre sounds, really. That and the fact that metal lyrics tend to be pretty terribad (and normally I'm not turned off by bad lyrics - they usually don't matter much to me at all). And that the bands and the fans take themselves so seriously.
Trillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
xLizardx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 71
Default

Hell no. Like what you like, whether that be virtually an entire genre, individual bands from that genre, or even just individual songs from that genre. I'm not a major fan of rap, but there are a few individual rap songs that I do like. In comparison, I like many more post-hardcore, metal-core, and pop-punk songs and bands - but still, not every single one.

Your musical taste is quite frankly, no one else's concern, from the perspective that after all, you're the one who's listening to your playlists. Why should you feel obliged to include genre "staples" just because other people like them? It's what YOU like that's important.

If you had a plate of chips - [that's steak-cut fries, if you're American] then it would be up to you what you wanted to put on it. Who cares if other people don't like your taste in condiments? You're the one who's eating the meal... and you should by no means feel obliged to use ketchup or mayonnaise just because they're popular, if you personally don't happen to like them. [Though straying from the metaphor, I f-ing love ketchup :P ]
xLizardx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.