Music Banter - View Single Post - All part of the genre? or, If you like this you must/should like this!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
xLizardx
Music Addict

Hell no. Like what you like, whether that be virtually an entire genre, individual bands from that genre, or even just individual songs from that genre. I'm not a major fan of rap, but there are a few individual rap songs that I do like. In comparison, I like many more post-hardcore, metal-core, and pop-punk songs and bands - but still, not every single one.

Your musical taste is quite frankly, no one else's concern, from the perspective that after all, you're the one who's listening to your playlists. Why should you feel obliged to include genre "staples" just because other people like them? It's what YOU like that's important.

If you had a plate of chips - [that's steak-cut fries, if you're American] then it would be up to you what you wanted to put on it. Who cares if other people don't like your taste in condiments? You're the one who's eating the meal... and you should by no means feel obliged to use ketchup or mayonnaise just because they're popular, if you personally don't happen to like them. [Though straying from the metaphor, I f-ing love ketchup :P ]
xLizardx is offline   Reply With Quote