Music Banter - View Single Post - Mr. Cool... death of a legend...
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlesser View Post
Excuse me for interrupting, but I would like to correct a mistaken photo credit that appears above, The photo of Gregory was, in fact, taken by me - you can look it up anywhere in the internet- in 1983. It was not colorized. it was taken on color slide film

Beth Lesser
Dear Beth:

Allow me to apologize. You may well be be the photographer of that picture of Gregory in front of the African Museum store.

Let me explain my error. When I was living in Jamaica I took hundreds of photos of reggae artists and producers, most of which I gave away to the subjects of my photographs. For me, taking pictures was a way of getting to know the subjects of my photographs and to further appreciate the wondrous music they were playing. Most of my subjects loved getting the photos of themselves, whether the photos were posed or candid shots. I never asked for credits or royalties for any of the pictures I took.

When I gave up photography in the late Eighties I sold all my equipment and destroyed all my negatives. So I think my memory was playing tricks on me when I thought the photo was mine... But I did take a number of photos of Gregory both inside and outside of the African Museum, I believe sometime around 1980. I still come across photos that people said I took of them, which I have absolutely no memory of taking. After all it's been 30 years since I held a camera in my hand.

I do remember that day when I took 30 to 40 photos of Gregory at the African Museum but I can't say without uncertainty that photograph you claimed to have taken, was actually one of those photos I took.

I was relying more on my memory of that day, than my first hand knowledge actual photo which undoubtedly was taken by you. When I saw it posted on the internet, I made the false assumption that the picture was one of the photos I took of Gregory 34 years ago. I was wrong to make that assumption.

I'm glad you raised the issue with me and I apologize for taking credit where credit was not due.

Gavin B.