Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you subscribe to the "grower" school of thought?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Yeah that doesn't happen with me at all. When I find a song I really like. I will replay it and burn through it until I am sick of it but it doesn't mean I don't like it anymore or have grown wary. I just reach a point where I am satisfied with the song and no longer feel the need to constantly repeat it.

As for the overall topic of growers, I don't think there are albums that grow on me. If I don't like an album for a specific reason then I won't try to torture myself by replaying it until I break down and finally start liking it. That's exactly what it sounds like you guys are doing.

If I don't like the way that an album starts out I will stick it out and make sure that I listen to the whole think because I tend to end up finding tracks that are gems hiding in the rough later on or I find something about a track that sounds pleasing to my ears.
Pretty much my way of looking at it too. I know some people say "Oh you have to hear this album!" and I might but then not like it; it's unlikely though that I'd then keep trying to like it, saying "What am I missing?" It just may not be for me. It's like someone saying (and I hate this) you'll love a certain food. How do they know? You might hate it. The phrase "You're gonna love it!" is a really annoying thing for anyone to say to me. But back OT, look at Daft Punk: I tried it not because everyone else said it was great (well, partly) but because I heard a snippet on TV and liked it. Had I though run the album and hated it that would have been it: I wouldn't have kept trying. Once I know I'm not into an album I usually leave it. What's the point of trying to force yourself to like it? It's like (going back to the food/drink example) "an acquired taste". Huh? You either like something or you don't: you shouldn't have to acquire the taste for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Yeah, I told you about that is how I got into early Genesis. I didn't know they were "growers." Once I got to understand the albums better music-wise I thought they were great. I think that only happens with bands I am already into, because I don't like what I hear right off I won't give it repeat tries. Yes the first two and Relayer had grow on me, Tales has yet to grow, but Paul played part of it in plug and I liked what I heard. Some albums grow faster than others, some burn out, and other I think are epic right off the bat.
Yeah well for me that would be different because I was into Genesis from day one, but taking an example from that, their worst album imo, "Abacab". I did try to like it but I never will. It's never going to grow on me. Some tracks I like but it will always be my least favourite of those and nobody and no amount of listens is going to convince me otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread is talking about "torturing" themselves with music they hate. More like being open to giving something more than one chance.
Yeah that's probably overstated but you know what he means: why push yourself to like an album you don't believe you ever will? I tried several times to get into "Tarkus" and I just hated it. I don't care how many others think it's a classic. I don't like it and it will never appeal to me.