Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you subscribe to the "grower" school of thought?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Trillian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
There are albums that Ill hear once (or not even get through it once) and i will know that its unlikely ill ever listen to it again. But there are albums that ill dislike, but there is something that will make me come back to it later (usually months or years). I remember hating Godspeed the first few times, but something kept me coming back. And then eventually it hit me. Hard. And now i love em.

Im still trying to like Dummy. Its an album Ive always thought id really like but for whatever reason i dont. But it has that intangible and undefinable *quality* that keeps me coming back to it every once and a while. One day..

And then there are albums that ill like originally but theyll become more stale as time goes by. I will rarely hate something i used to like but might become indifferent to the point where i wont listen to it anymore. Focus by Cynic is one of those for me although maybe itll come back to me if i hold off listening to it for a long while.

Music is a very crazy thing eh
Are we the same person?! Seriously, I had the exact same thing happen with G!YBE. Didn't get the fuss at first, now I love them. And the same way about Dummy. Considering the type of music I usually like, I should totally love Dummy, and it seems like a low of people really love that album, but I just... don't. I've listened to it a few times, and it's not that I disliked it or anything, it was just... meh. But then there's that quality that it has that makes me WANT to really love it.

EDIT: just realized you probably meant Godspeed the metal band, not Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Oh well, I'm leaving it because G!YBE is relevant to the discussion.

Last edited by Trillian; 02-04-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Trillian is offline   Reply With Quote