Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official 'Ice Cube Doesn't Get The Credit He Deserves' Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
More credit.
I know the difference
Really because you seen to keep flip flopping from one to the other when it suits you.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with being in the public eye.

You make it seem like Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre are burning up the charts and are relevant and they are not. You make it seem like they are all over magazines, tv shows etc and they are not. Just because they are little bit more in the public eye than Ice cube does not mean they deserve more credit than him.
I said nothing of the sort.
I was responding to you saying
Quote:
I often see rappers like Dr. Dre or Snoop Dog getting more credit that Ice Cube from that era and I find him to be more important than them.
What I said was they get more attention because they're more higher profile. That doesn't mean they're getting more credit though. They're just more talked about. That doesn't necessarily mean they're talked about because of their music.

Quote:
It doesnt matter if he has not done anything to appeal outside his fanbase. He deserves more credit for what he did for hip hop period.
Totally missing the point here. If you want to see mainstream media outlets give credit to something then those artists have break into that mainstream market and stay there, something Ice Cube hasn't really done since the early / mid 90s. His albums still sell well but I would guess most of those sales come from people who already own other albums by him.
People have already shown you him getting credit in the Hip Hop community, if he gets less in the mainstream then that's to be expected given his heyday was over 20 years ago, and it'll stay like that until he makes an album with crossover appeal & millions sales to match.

Quote:
I never opened a Rolling Stones magazine and have read a commentary where they talk about the influence Ice Cube has had on Hip Hop. I have never saw a documentary about Hip Hop where Ice Cube is cited for what he did.
Don't buy Rolling Stone then.
I don't buy the NME and expect to read how great Thin Lizzy were 30 years ago.

Quote:
Janelle Monae won a break through award recently but that award does not change that she is still tremendously underrated overall within the industry.
Totally irrelevant, you can't compare someone who's only been around a few years to someone who's been around nearly 3 decades.

Quote:
Ice Cube deserves more credit than what he gets.
From who?

Quote:
I think you are actually the one that does not know the difference. This has nothing to do with being in the public eye. The music industry overall does not like to acknowledge the past or past artists that have contributed to the industry.
The music industry will promote anything that makes sales, those are usually the ones that garner the most attention in the media, so I would say being in the public eye is very important.

Quote:
I think it is important to acknowledge artists that have pioneered or impacted a genre so the younger generation can be exposed to those artists that paved the way.
That's the fans job & the musicians that follow, not the media's job.

Quote:
A young kid who loves hip hop would probably think Jay Z has contributed more to Hip Hop than Ice Cube simply because the industry and media says so. They say he is the best, and has done this and that but he hasn't pioneered what Krs One did or has the same impact in my opinion. I just think it is important for people especially youth to be informed accurately.
And had that same kid been around in 1989 do you think he would listen to NWA or something from the mid 60s?
When you discover music for the first time it's the current artists you discover first, the old ones you discover later.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote