Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
More credit or they're just in the public eye more now?
More credit.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if you know the difference.
I know the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Obviously Dr. Dre & Snoop Dog have a higher profile than Ice Cube in 2014. Dr. Dre has a hugely successful brand and has produced loads of big selling artists in the past decade. He's not still getting attention now just because he used to be in NWA.
Snoop Dog has become a personality rather than an artist. He's become of the most recognisable people in the genre, even my mum who's in her 60s and has no interest in hip hop at all knows who Snoop Dogg is, but you try finding me someone who's bought any of the records he's released since the mid 90s.
This has nothing to do with being in the public eye.

You make it seem like Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre are burning up the charts and are relevant and they are not. You make it seem like they are all over magazines, tv shows etc and they are not. Just because they are little bit more in the public eye than Ice cube does not mean they deserve more credit than him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
As for Ice Cube he hasn't really done anything to appeal to anyone outside of the fan base he already has since the early 90s and has had a few minor movie roles, so obviously the others get more attention now.
It doesnt matter if he has not done anything to appeal outside his fanbase. He deserves more credit for what he did for hip hop period.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Tons of people have pointed out to you where Ice Cube gets the credit he's due
I never opened a Rolling Stones magazine and have read a commentary where they talk about the influence Ice Cube has had on Hip Hop. I have never saw a documentary about Hip Hop where Ice Cube is cited for what he did.


Janelle Monae won a break through award recently but that award does not change that she is still tremendously underrated overall within the industry.


Ice Cube deserves more credit than what he gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
but for some reason you seem think that people who had their best days over 20 years ago should be in the public eye today. It doesn't work like that.
I think you are actually the one that does not know the difference. This has nothing to do with being in the public eye. The music industry overall does not like to acknowledge the past or past artists that have contributed to the industry.

I think it is important to acknowledge artists that have pioneered or impacted a genre so the younger generation can be exposed to those artists that paved the way.

A young kid who loves hip hop would probably think Jay Z has contributed more to Hip Hop than Ice Cube simply because the industry and media says so. They say he is the best, and has done this and that but he hasn't pioneered what Krs One did or has the same impact in my opinion. I just think it is important for people especially youth to be informed accurately.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Dre invested his money well. He became a big-time producer, he has his own line of headphones.. What would you expect? Everyone who knows NWA, knows that Ice Cube was the brains behind it, and his solo work is generally considered to be the best of any member of NWA.

But do people from the ages of 13-25 know that?
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Cube is working on a new album and just was in a movie that raked up at the box office. He is in the public eye more nowadays.

He is in the public eye and has successful movies

He is a good actor (I actually think he is underrated as an actor too)

The word on the street is he is currently working on the official NWA movie.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
More credit.
I know the difference
Really because you seen to keep flip flopping from one to the other when it suits you.



Quote:
This has nothing to do with being in the public eye.

You make it seem like Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre are burning up the charts and are relevant and they are not. You make it seem like they are all over magazines, tv shows etc and they are not. Just because they are little bit more in the public eye than Ice cube does not mean they deserve more credit than him.
I said nothing of the sort.
I was responding to you saying
Quote:
I often see rappers like Dr. Dre or Snoop Dog getting more credit that Ice Cube from that era and I find him to be more important than them.
What I said was they get more attention because they're more higher profile. That doesn't mean they're getting more credit though. They're just more talked about. That doesn't necessarily mean they're talked about because of their music.

Quote:
It doesnt matter if he has not done anything to appeal outside his fanbase. He deserves more credit for what he did for hip hop period.
Totally missing the point here. If you want to see mainstream media outlets give credit to something then those artists have break into that mainstream market and stay there, something Ice Cube hasn't really done since the early / mid 90s. His albums still sell well but I would guess most of those sales come from people who already own other albums by him.
People have already shown you him getting credit in the Hip Hop community, if he gets less in the mainstream then that's to be expected given his heyday was over 20 years ago, and it'll stay like that until he makes an album with crossover appeal & millions sales to match.

Quote:
I never opened a Rolling Stones magazine and have read a commentary where they talk about the influence Ice Cube has had on Hip Hop. I have never saw a documentary about Hip Hop where Ice Cube is cited for what he did.
Don't buy Rolling Stone then.
I don't buy the NME and expect to read how great Thin Lizzy were 30 years ago.

Quote:
Janelle Monae won a break through award recently but that award does not change that she is still tremendously underrated overall within the industry.
Totally irrelevant, you can't compare someone who's only been around a few years to someone who's been around nearly 3 decades.


Quote:
Ice Cube deserves more credit than what he gets.
From who?


Quote:
I think you are actually the one that does not know the difference. This has nothing to do with being in the public eye. The music industry overall does not like to acknowledge the past or past artists that have contributed to the industry.
The music industry will promote anything that makes sales, those are usually the ones that garner the most attention in the media, so I would say being in the public eye is very important.

Quote:
I think it is important to acknowledge artists that have pioneered or impacted a genre so the younger generation can be exposed to those artists that paved the way.
That's the fans job & the musicians that follow, not the media's job.

Quote:
A young kid who loves hip hop would probably think Jay Z has contributed more to Hip Hop than Ice Cube simply because the industry and media says so. They say he is the best, and has done this and that but he hasn't pioneered what Krs One did or has the same impact in my opinion. I just think it is important for people especially youth to be informed accurately.
And had that same kid been around in 1989 do you think he would listen to NWA or something from the mid 60s?
When you discover music for the first time it's the current artists you discover first, the old ones you discover later.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 30,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
There are other people in the Hip Hop community that NEVER get their props not just Slick. Doug E Fresh, Krs One, LL Cool J, etc are all underrated as far as their impact/music.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

Djchameleon is doin a goid job subtely flirtin I think any master pick up artist would be proud
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,533
Default

Man **** Ice Cube that guy is making kids movies right now. Most underrated mainstream rapper of all time; Ludacris. PEOPLE STILL DONT KNOW ABOUT CRIS DA MENACE IN ****IN 2014 MAN IS THAT ACCEPTABLE TO YOU?
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Urban thanks for making this into a thread! I am will be back to respond to your posts
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #29 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

What do you think I think it means?
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Really because you seen to keep flip flopping from one to the other when it suits you.
I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. There are artists that are not overexposed that get awards and acknowledged all the time.

You brought up the exposure and spotlight argument, I didn't.

Regardless if Ice Cube is in the spotlight or not he deserves props for what he has done for hip hop.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I said nothing of the sort.
I was responding to you saying



What I said was they get more attention because they're more higher profile. That doesn't mean they're getting more credit though. They're just more talked about. That doesn't necessarily mean they're talked about because of their music.

Yea that is very true but Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre DO get acknowledged and credited WAY more than Ice Cube for what they have done for hip hop.

I have seen documentaries and read writes up where they are given their props. Ice Cube is no where to be found


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Totally missing the point here. If you want to see mainstream media outlets give credit to something then those artists have break into that mainstream market and stay there, something Ice Cube hasn't really done since the early / mid 90s. His albums still sell well but I would guess most of those sales come from people who already own other albums by him.

I understand this and actually agree with what you are saying but I personally feel that an artist should not have to stay relevant in order to get acknowledged for what they have done for a genre.

It is not like Ice Cube came around in the 90s and just followed a bunch of established trends. He helped pioneer a genre and he definitely deserves more props for that than what he gets.

It would be nice to see MCs like him or Krs One get more props instead of rappers like Lil Wayne or Jay Z who I feel have done 0 for hip hop but thats my opinion. You always hear about 2pac and Biggie and never anyone else before them who paved the way for them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
People have already shown you him getting credit in the Hip Hop community, if he gets less in the mainstream then that's to be expected given his heyday was over 20 years ago, and it'll stay like that until he makes an album with crossover appeal & millions sales to mateel ch.
It doesn't matter that his heyday was 20 years ago. He still could be acknowledged from time to time for pioneering a genre.


I know my opinion is not going to make the media give Ice Cube more praise LOL I am just simply expressing what I believe and I believe he is underrated as well as a number of MC's from his era.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Don't buy Rolling Stone then.
I don't buy the NME and expect to read how great Thin Lizzy were 30 years ago.
I don't. I am just stating what I've read and seen. This isn't just for Rolling Stone but any type music magazine


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Totally irrelevant, you can't compare someone who's only been around a few years to someone who's been around nearly 3 decades.
I just used her as an example because some people are suggesting that if someone wins ONE award than that makes them not underrated and I disagree with that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
From who?
From the industry/hip hop community. They need to stop hyping up Jay Z and start talking about the real pioneers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
The music industry will promote anything that makes sales, those are usually the ones that garner the most attention in the media, so I would say being in the public eye is very important.
It is but that has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
That's the fans job & the musicians that follow, not the media's job.
I disagree

The media has EVERYTHING to do with this.

The media is powerful, influential and manipulative.

Unfornately, alot of people do not want to see this happen.

Hip Hop is ran by people of the different persuasion now and those people control how Hip Hop is represented. Unfortunately, it is not represented in it's truest light and they rather skip over or erase some of its history.

I have a issue with that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
And had that same kid been around in 1989 do you think he would listen to NWA or something from the mid 60s?
When you discover music for the first time it's the current artists you discover first, the old ones you discover later.
You're right but some of these new rappers get a tad bit to much credit for things they did not pioneer or start. I just think it is important for people to get their fair credit.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.