Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official 'Ice Cube Doesn't Get The Credit He Deserves' Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Really because you seen to keep flip flopping from one to the other when it suits you.
I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. There are artists that are not overexposed that get awards and acknowledged all the time.

You brought up the exposure and spotlight argument, I didn't.

Regardless if Ice Cube is in the spotlight or not he deserves props for what he has done for hip hop.

Quote:
I said nothing of the sort.
I was responding to you saying

What I said was they get more attention because they're more higher profile. That doesn't mean they're getting more credit though. They're just more talked about. That doesn't necessarily mean they're talked about because of their music.

Yea that is very true but Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre DO get acknowledged and credited WAY more than Ice Cube for what they have done for hip hop.

I have seen documentaries and read writes up where they are given their props. Ice Cube is no where to be found

Quote:
Totally missing the point here. If you want to see mainstream media outlets give credit to something then those artists have break into that mainstream market and stay there, something Ice Cube hasn't really done since the early / mid 90s. His albums still sell well but I would guess most of those sales come from people who already own other albums by him.

I understand this and actually agree with what you are saying but I personally feel that an artist should not have to stay relevant in order to get acknowledged for what they have done for a genre.

It is not like Ice Cube came around in the 90s and just followed a bunch of established trends. He helped pioneer a genre and he definitely deserves more props for that than what he gets.

It would be nice to see MCs like him or Krs One get more props instead of rappers like Lil Wayne or Jay Z who I feel have done 0 for hip hop but thats my opinion. You always hear about 2pac and Biggie and never anyone else before them who paved the way for them.

Quote:
People have already shown you him getting credit in the Hip Hop community, if he gets less in the mainstream then that's to be expected given his heyday was over 20 years ago, and it'll stay like that until he makes an album with crossover appeal & millions sales to mateel ch.
It doesn't matter that his heyday was 20 years ago. He still could be acknowledged from time to time for pioneering a genre.

I know my opinion is not going to make the media give Ice Cube more praise LOL I am just simply expressing what I believe and I believe he is underrated as well as a number of MC's from his era.

Quote:
Don't buy Rolling Stone then.
I don't buy the NME and expect to read how great Thin Lizzy were 30 years ago.
I don't. I am just stating what I've read and seen. This isn't just for Rolling Stone but any type music magazine

Quote:
Totally irrelevant, you can't compare someone who's only been around a few years to someone who's been around nearly 3 decades.
I just used her as an example because some people are suggesting that if someone wins ONE award than that makes them not underrated and I disagree with that.

Quote:
From who?
From the industry/hip hop community. They need to stop hyping up Jay Z and start talking about the real pioneers.

Quote:
The music industry will promote anything that makes sales, those are usually the ones that garner the most attention in the media, so I would say being in the public eye is very important.
It is but that has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

Quote:
That's the fans job & the musicians that follow, not the media's job.
I disagree

The media has EVERYTHING to do with this.

The media is powerful, influential and manipulative.

Unfornately, alot of people do not want to see this happen.

Hip Hop is ran by people of the different persuasion now and those people control how Hip Hop is represented. Unfortunately, it is not represented in it's truest light and they rather skip over or erase some of its history.

I have a issue with that.

Quote:
And had that same kid been around in 1989 do you think he would listen to NWA or something from the mid 60s?
When you discover music for the first time it's the current artists you discover first, the old ones you discover later.
You're right but some of these new rappers get a tad bit to much credit for things they did not pioneer or start. I just think it is important for people to get their fair credit.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote