Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #813 (permalink)
rockinlazys
Groupie

Default As I age I listen to The Beach Boys more often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I guess you could compare the Monkees to the Beach Boys if that is your preference, but I just don't see the Monkees at the same level of talent as Brian Wilson, John Lennon, or Paul McCartney. But that's just my opinion. I see the Monkees as more of a Comedy Act, more so, than one of the great bands. I actually wouldn't even put the Monkees in the same category with the Byrds. Maybe, (The Monkees vs The Partridge Family)?
I remember dancing around to I Saw Her Standing There as a young pup when my mom brought home the Please Please Me album. No one in our house was interested in The Beach Boys,but it was all over the radio(so I got to fill my ears).I am a long time fan of both groups and don't think I am up to picking who was more creative.Both helped to shape the direction of popular music.They pushed each other and that always helps innovation.As I get older I seem drawn to records like Friends, Sunflower, Holland and yes the highly debated Carl & The Passions "So Tough". I know this reflects more on me and my life than the music itself. I am mystified to see The Byrds and the Monkees in the same sentence, please explain if you would.
rockinlazys is offline   Reply With Quote