Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default Animal Shapes - Geographer

Thanks Trollheart for the welcome and for your kind words. :3
I will do my best to create an interesting journal!

Well, today I've had a long day at school, spent 10 hours there, I'm totally tuckered out.
On days like these there's nothing better but listening to some upbeating tunes to recover and build yourself up.

Animal Shapes - Geographer

First, let me introduce you to the band. Geographer is the name of an American indie rock band, formed in 2007.
They are known for creating dense layers, yet they are using lots of electronic and acoustic elements in their songs.

The tracks on this album, which got released in 2010, sound somehow like those great soundtracks of the first Nintendo-games.
Those synthetic beats combined with simple, yet frolic melodies create a very up-beating and energetic atmosphere.
Maybe that's why I enjoy listening to this EP so much, even if I am not a real fan of the lyrics of most songs.

Track list
1. Original Sin
2. Kites
3. Verona
4. Paris
5. Heaven Waits
6. Night Winds
7. Paris (Wallpaper Remix)
8. Kites (Limousines Remix)

First, you dive in into a completely new, synthetic atmosphere when listening to the first song, Original Sin. The beats remind you on some dance-music, but then again those spacey-sounds, you want to reflect some more - No!
The song came to an abrupt end. Kites, the next track follows, let's you float through the air, just like the resonating sound of the chello does. I enjoyed the ghosting and time-lapse music video to it, as well.
Verona - that track has some interesting bass sounds, also the vocals are creative. Nothing spectacular, but a really nice, airy song.
Paris, the fourth song is very catchy, maybe 'cause of the colorful elements. Heaven Waits is shining out - it's focusing more on guitar, drums, and cello, you won't hear the synth anymore.
I actually like the lyrics to this song a lot, it's way more calm than the previous tracks. Why don't you give it a listen?

The next song, Night Winds, doesn't lift the mood either, the lyrics are rather melancholic . I like the experimenting beat and smooth guitar accompaniment, though.
The last two songs are remixes of the songs Kite and Paris. I actually prefer the originals over those tracks. I like electronic music, but this cover just doesn't appeal to me.

In general, if you enjoy listening some fresh sounds and enjoy synthetic beats, I'd recommend listening to this EP.