Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #1469 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I had been thinking of going for a tablet but when I said it would be mostly for writing most if not all replies advised against it. Tablets are more for your media stuff --- watching tv, reading books, maybe some games --- apparently but not for any serious "office work". I'd go for a laptop or maybe a netbook? Asus ones are supposed to be good, of course Sony VAIO is the best if you can afford it, but as FD says Lenovo are making their mark. I wouldn't go for a Dell or anything though. Make sure it has some decent memory (4 gb or more) as otherwise you'll be waiting forever for it to boot up. Also unless you like Win 8 I'd try to get one with Win 7 installed.
Some solid advice there TH. Almost exactly what I 'd say. Asus is pretty solid for the money. I bought my daughter one a few years back, and it's still a workhorse for her since she's carried it over from HS to college (2nd year). However, I'd stay away from the netbooks. I deal with them everyday for our wireless RTD systems, and had bought one for my GF quite a while ago. The limited amount of RAM, as well as having the Windows "Starter" edition will have you pulling hair out in no time.

I'd go with a low end Lenovo, or Asus Laptop for someone just requiring spreadsheet/word processing.