Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #92 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Chunks of metal: thrash metal

Artist: Metallica
Album: Ride the Lightning
Year: 1984
Chronological posision: Sophomore album
Genre: Thrash metal
Expectations before listening: Some sort of intermediate between Kill 'Em All and Master of Puppets

Oh yes, Metallica. I really think this is the band for me, but I guess I shouldn't speak before having heard this album, which is considered by many to be their best effort ever (when it's not Master of Puppets, of course). Also, apparently this album marks their first of like, twenty changes in musical direction. How many albums have they released? Alright, eight then.

My damn, this is good! I think I love everything about it. The interludes, the riffs, the vocals, and the lyrics. Especially the lyrics, they're brilliant and go together so well with the music. For instance, there's "Fade to Black", with the suicidal lyrics accompanied by a rather slow ballad-ish instrumentation, and "Ride the Lightning", in which a man dreams about being executed with the electrical chair, which has an overall aggressive feel (though it doesn't feel too brutal) to go with the lyrics. In the end, I'll just say that I really wish I had listened to this sooner.

5/5
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote