Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #107 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Briks' Green Day thing

“Hyped, commercialized, excessively marketed pop punk aimed at kids like me, but scene of course”. If I randomly came up to you and said that, would you think of Green Day, or would you think of Blink-182 and then Green Day?

There are some very mixed opinions on the band. I'd say there are three types of people:
  • Those who would say “yeah, American Idiot's pretty good”
  • Those who would say “Hah, they suck ass, go listen to some proper music, like Bon Jovi”
  • Those who would say “Their first two/three/four albums are amazing, but I want to buy a thousand copies of everything that comes after just so I can burn them all
Unfortunately, I'm among the latter, but I can only afford one copy of each album. Anyway, the problem isn't that I dislike cheese. Cheese can be fun. My problem is with cheese trying to be serious, thus coming off as pretentious. Therefore, I gave 21st Century Breakdown a 2/5 review. Then there's Kerplunk. It's got the hooks and angsty lyrics of pop punk, but compared to everything that came after, it's unpolished and independent, so you don't get the feeling that they're doing it all for the money, you know? Even if you don't like Green Day, and not even their earlier releases, I hope you can understand why I like this...

better than this.

Sure, the latter is okay, but it seems pretentious to me; I can't listen to it and take it seriously, know what I'm saying?
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote