The Poseur Cave - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Members Journal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #101 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 47,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
Of course, there was snow, and lots of it. That means skiing. Let me clear up these things:[/SIZE]
  • Not all Norwegians love skiing
  • For many, skiing is only tradition
  • Most Norwegians are only averagely skilled at skiing
The fact that most Norwegians have actually been skiing kind of reinforces whatever stereotype you're referring to (over here in America your country is so irrelevant that we don't have any stereotypes for you, like Uzbekistan or Lichtenstein).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #102 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
The fact that most Norwegians have actually been skiing kind of reinforces whatever stereotype you're referring to (over here in America your country is so irrelevant that we don't have any stereotypes for you, like Uzbekistan or Lichtenstein).
According to our stereotypes you're obese.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #103 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
According to our stereotypes you're obese.
You did a Batlord on the Batlord.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #104 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 47,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
According to our stereotypes you're obese.
That's what happens when you eat food other than herring and sheep heads.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #105 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
That's what happens when you eat food other than herring and sheep heads.
It's not metal, though
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #106 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 47,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
It's not metal, though
Eating all the food so that African children have to eat their own tears is metal as ****.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #107 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,811
Default

Briks' Green Day thing





“Hyped, commercialized, excessively marketed pop punk aimed at kids like me, but scene of course”. If I randomly came up to you and said that, would you think of Green Day, or would you think of Blink-182 and then Green Day?

There are some very mixed opinions on the band. I'd say there are three types of people:
  • Those who would say “yeah, American Idiot's pretty good”
  • Those who would say “Hah, they suck ass, go listen to some proper music, like Bon Jovi”
  • Those who would say “Their first two/three/four albums are amazing, but I want to buy a thousand copies of everything that comes after just so I can burn them all
Unfortunately, I'm among the latter, but I can only afford one copy of each album. Anyway, the problem isn't that I dislike cheese. Cheese can be fun. My problem is with cheese trying to be serious, thus coming off as pretentious. Therefore, I gave 21st Century Breakdown a 2/5 review. Then there's Kerplunk. It's got the hooks and angsty lyrics of pop punk, but compared to everything that came after, it's unpolished and independent, so you don't get the feeling that they're doing it all for the money, you know? Even if you don't like Green Day, and not even their earlier releases, I hope you can understand why I like this...



better than this.



Sure, the latter is okay, but it seems pretentious to me; I can't listen to it and take it seriously, know what I'm saying?
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #108 (permalink)
una ola nunca viene sola
 
Kartoffelbrei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Miesbach, Oberbayern
Posts: 150
Default

Hm. I really don't know what to think of Green Day.
I liked the old, more punky n experimental stuff, when I was young,
but I haven't really listened to them for a long while.

Then there was this American Idiot thing,
and yeah... the lyrics sucked, the music was actually ok.
But your first example is fine
And I think there's no person alive who wouldn't understand why this is better than the second ...thing
__________________


Abra Kadabra,
3 x schwarzer Kater!


~Todos hablan de la mar, pero en ella nunca estan~
Kartoffelbrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #109 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Silenzio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Austria
Posts: 210
Default

Briks, you've got a nice point there.
I am not a huge fan, but I liked some of the Green Day songs.
Though I see the change in style a bit, I haven't got any real preferences.
Not very educated in that genre, to be honest!
__________________
Sometimes the - silence - guides your mind.
Silenzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #110 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,811
Default

Chunks of metal: fusion metal



Artist: Pantera
Album: Far Beyond Driven
Year: 1994
Chronological position: Seventh, though I'm sure they wish it was their third
Genre: Groove metal
Expectations before listening: I don't know, something mediocre, perhaps

"Briks, you're increasing my blood pressure," you say. "Groove metal is not a fusion genre". What do you mean, is it not a fusion between groove and metal? Oh, well. The only reason we're using the fusion tag at all, is because we needed a place to dump nu, goth, groove, folk, prog and every other subgenre/fusion genre that doesn't deserve it's own chunk because it's either:
  • Said to be crap (nu metal)
  • Not large or important enough to take up 1/6th of this section
Anyway, my opinion on this album... I'd heard Cowboys from Hell and A Vulgar Display of Power already, and now I've heard this. I don't even know how to properly rank the albums, because they sound too similar to me, and I feel no need to concentrate on hearing them again. That's because I think Pantera is a bit bland. This album sounds, to me, exactly like A Vulgar Display of Power, maybe just a bit louder. But if you're reading this before hearing the album, keep in mind that I've only heard it in its entirety once, and that the same goes for the two preceding it, so feel free to judge my right to judge.

3/5
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2023 Advameg, Inc.