Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #61 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Kentucky --- Panopticon --- Recommended by Goofle11

Yeah he does it again! An incredible mix of I guess death metal and country, with some great spoken passages mostly focussing on a miners' strike in, I would assume, the state after which the album is named? There are screamed, hoarse vocals which at first annoyed me but I managed to get past them and listen to the music, which is just totally superb throughout. Some long tracks but that's just a bonus really. I always disliked "death vocals" because I assumed the singer couldn't sing any other way, and so to me this was not singing, not as I knew it, Jim.

Now I see that (unless they use two vocalists, which I don't think they do) it may be a choice rather than something the singer can only attain, and in that case then they have to be afforded a certain level of respect. Not saying I'm going to rate every death growler now or see them differently, but you know, I may give them a bit more of a fair hearing.

As for the music? County mixed with metal? Sure how could you go wrong? Great stuff, just excellent. Another hit from the G-Man.

Rec Rating: 8/10 (It's only not 9 because of those death vocals which, notwithstanding what I said above, I'd rather weren't there).