Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #61 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default



Kentucky --- Panopticon --- Recommended by Goofle11

Yeah he does it again! An incredible mix of I guess death metal and country, with some great spoken passages mostly focussing on a miners' strike in, I would assume, the state after which the album is named? There are screamed, hoarse vocals which at first annoyed me but I managed to get past them and listen to the music, which is just totally superb throughout. Some long tracks but that's just a bonus really. I always disliked "death vocals" because I assumed the singer couldn't sing any other way, and so to me this was not singing, not as I knew it, Jim.

Now I see that (unless they use two vocalists, which I don't think they do) it may be a choice rather than something the singer can only attain, and in that case then they have to be afforded a certain level of respect. Not saying I'm going to rate every death growler now or see them differently, but you know, I may give them a bit more of a fair hearing.

As for the music? County mixed with metal? Sure how could you go wrong? Great stuff, just excellent. Another hit from the G-Man.

Rec Rating: 8/10 (It's only not 9 because of those death vocals which, notwithstanding what I said above, I'd rather weren't there).
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #62 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

And I thank Ninetales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post


Bast—Spectres (2014)
Recommended by: Mojo

Wow, this is some seriously great sludge/doom. Reminds me a little of Ufomammut in terms of the heavy, heavy fuzz and epic scope of the songwriting, but with a grittier, more Neurosis-like edge. This album sounds really good really loud so if you check it out I recommend doing so somewhere where you can seriously crank up the volume.
Checking this out now. First track is very good.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #63 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Kentucky --- Panopticon --- Recommended by Goofle11

Yeah he does it again! An incredible mix of I guess death metal and country, with some great spoken passages mostly focussing on a miners' strike in, I would assume, the state after which the album is named? There are screamed, hoarse vocals which at first annoyed me but I managed to get past them and listen to the music, which is just totally superb throughout. Some long tracks but that's just a bonus really. I always disliked "death vocals" because I assumed the singer couldn't sing any other way, and so to me this was not singing, not as I knew it, Jim.

Now I see that (unless they use two vocalists, which I don't think they do) it may be a choice rather than something the singer can only attain, and in that case then they have to be afforded a certain level of respect. Not saying I'm going to rate every death growler now or see them differently, but you know, I may give them a bit more of a fair hearing.

As for the music? County mixed with metal? Sure how could you go wrong? Great stuff, just excellent. Another hit from the G-Man.

Rec Rating: 8/10 (It's only not 9 because of those death vocals which, notwithstanding what I said above, I'd rather weren't there).
I'm pretty sure all the vocals are one guy. Not only that, I'm pretty sure he also plays everything else on the album as well. Talk about a prodigy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Checking this out now. First track is very good.
Funny enough, you and I were just listening to this album at the same time. Hope you enjoyed it. I think my favorite tracks are the last two.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #64 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default



Lost in the dream --- The War on Drugs --- Recommended by Watmoo

I had never even heard of this band before but based on the rec I thought I'd listen to it. From the first track I loved it and it just got better with each song. I don't think there's anything on it I didn't like. I heard elements of Prefab Sprout, Deacon Blue, Passenger, Waterboys and of course Dylan in this, a great mix of styles and influences, and yet TWOD have their own unique sound.

"Under the pressure" is a great opener, and I really like the ballad "Suffering", although I don't really see the qualities other reviewers are giving the album, with a lot of stuff about emotions, lost innocence and so on. Probably comes from not reading too deeply into the lyrics, or indeed, reading them at all.

But none of that stops this being a top album which I will return to again and again.

Rec rating: 8.5/10
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #65 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default



Singles --- Future Islands --- Recommended by YorkeDaddy and James.

This came highly recommended as you can see, and when it started up I really liked the sound, thought here we go with another discovery on the level of Chvrches. But then the singing began. I tried, I really did. I got about five tracks in before I decided I'd had enough. The singer's voice just grated on me like nails on a blackboard and I couldn't handle it. A real pity, as I was digging the music. But if I can't listen to the singer then I can't listen to the album, is how it is.

If he had even shared vocal duties with another person on some of the tracks I might have been able to ignore his annoying voice, but he seems to do all the singing himself. I'm sure it's not that he's a bad singer, just his voice went right through me. So unfortunately I'll have to chalk this up as one which may have gotten away.

Rec rating: 7/10
for the music but after the singing began, 2/10
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018

Last edited by Trollheart; 03-29-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #66 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

I didn't recommend that. I don't think anyway.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #67 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I didn't recommend that. I don't think anyway.
Sorry. Someone else did other than YD but I've been unable to suss out who. I've changed the header to reflect that. Answers on a postcard please to...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #68 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

James said it was a good album or something to that effect.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #69 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
James said it was a good album or something to that effect.
Any idea in what thread? I know someone was going on about it as if it was unmissable then I saw YD's rec and thought maybe they're right. I'd like to confirm who was the original recommender if possible..
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...ml#post1431868
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.