Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #63 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Kentucky --- Panopticon --- Recommended by Goofle11

Yeah he does it again! An incredible mix of I guess death metal and country, with some great spoken passages mostly focussing on a miners' strike in, I would assume, the state after which the album is named? There are screamed, hoarse vocals which at first annoyed me but I managed to get past them and listen to the music, which is just totally superb throughout. Some long tracks but that's just a bonus really. I always disliked "death vocals" because I assumed the singer couldn't sing any other way, and so to me this was not singing, not as I knew it, Jim.

Now I see that (unless they use two vocalists, which I don't think they do) it may be a choice rather than something the singer can only attain, and in that case then they have to be afforded a certain level of respect. Not saying I'm going to rate every death growler now or see them differently, but you know, I may give them a bit more of a fair hearing.

As for the music? County mixed with metal? Sure how could you go wrong? Great stuff, just excellent. Another hit from the G-Man.

Rec Rating: 8/10 (It's only not 9 because of those death vocals which, notwithstanding what I said above, I'd rather weren't there).
I'm pretty sure all the vocals are one guy. Not only that, I'm pretty sure he also plays everything else on the album as well. Talk about a prodigy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Checking this out now. First track is very good.
Funny enough, you and I were just listening to this album at the same time. Hope you enjoyed it. I think my favorite tracks are the last two.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote