Music Banter - View Single Post - Does altruism exist?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
Carpe Mortem
Crusher of tiny Nords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Ok, explain this one to me.

I was driving home last night, guy runs out of gas on a blind corner, gas station is just ahead. Me getting out and helping him push didn't make me feel any sort of way. I just did it on instinct. Pure gut instinct. As much as the guy, yelled at me "naw baby I got dis..." I pushed anyway. I was in a ****ty mood to ice the cake that was my **** fest of a day, so when I did this I was not exactly feeling warm and fuzzy. Might have been why I said "Dude, shut up! And steer..." Did I get a rush of warm fuzzies afterward? Nope.

Now get this, I looked at my phone walking back to my car. One missed call. A coworker and friend of mine, drove past, saw me, (little ole me) pushing a huge ass caprice down the street, and simply called to ask what I was doing.

Didn't stop to help me their friend, who was actually doing something completely altruistic. This guys has a connection to me, forget the stranger, I am the only one that established a connection with the stranger. So by that rational if we were all out to feel good and pat ourselves on the back my friend would have stopped to help me, help the stranger and we would have all sat down and sang kumbyah afterward. Because we all felt good. That did not happen.
I think you did it on instinct because you have been programmed to believe it was the right thing to do. And programming can go a long way.

Therefore... still not altruism.

Be Loving & Open With
My Emotions
Carpe Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote