Music Banter - View Single Post - The Ramones Vs. The Sex Pistols
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomMartyr View Post
Well, The New York Dolls, which The Sex Pistols were directly influenced by. Also, The Ramones, The Stooges, The Damned, The MC5, The Dictators, etc.
Well why don't we throw in just about every garage rock band ever formed into the mix too if we're gonna start counting every vaguely punk forerunner band? I hear the same argument against Black Sabbath not being the first heavy metal band when people mention everybody from Led Zeppelin to the Kinks. Punk as it is and always has been known started in England (the CBGB's scene was really just an art rock scene that had the Ramones). And the Sex Pistols were the catalyst for this sound.

And did the Damned form before the Sex Pistols? And if so did they sound like the Damned as we know them? I know they released a single and an album before the Sex Pistols, but that's not what we're talking about.

Also the Ramones were across an ocean. Almost nobody on either side of the pond had any idea what the other scene sounded like until they all started releasing albums. So for all intents and purposes no band in England sounded like the Sex Pistols at the time.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote