Music Banter - View Single Post - Should music be free?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #67 (permalink)
Carpe Mortem
Crusher of tiny Nords

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I disagreed with pretty much everything you said but the bolded part needs to be addressed.

I feel like maybe you have it in your head that being a starving artist is glorious and that people shouldn't be allowed to pay their bills off of their creations regardless of what you think of the quality of their work.

It doesn't matter what type of art you create, if that is what you choose to do for your lifestyle then you should be compensated so that you can live off of your passion.
Au contraire, I know way too many unsuccessful artists/ musicians/ writers etc of many different types and levels of talent who all want to be paid for what they enjoy in life. Wasting away money and years into their passion all in the hopes of cash, almost like they don't do it out of pure enjoyment, and bitching about people finding a way to download tracks they've released for free. I think they're kind of naive, and living a pipe dream.

I asked a friend to draw me up a tattoo and he wanted me to pay him before I even had any idea or sketch in hand! I'm pretty much in agreement with rostasi on this, although I express it less diplomatically. The music itself is a business card. You don't get to make money purely on the basis of making music, it has to be good enough that people want to show their support.

And any time someone uses youtube, or plug.dj, or lastfm for instance, they seem to be in agreement. To my credit I use rhapsody, which is ten bucks a month.

Be Loving & Open With
My Emotions
Carpe Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote