Music Banter - View Single Post - Eurovision 2014 Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
What's the criteria for this? Do they have to be unsigned or unknown? I'm sure one year we had an act who'd charted with a very well known band who I've forgot the name of, try to enter.

And how do they pick the song to enter for said country? All of these songs are usually a bit gimmicky to me, like you say Miss P they're all WTF entries. They're all a bit samey if that makes sense.

Can we get the Arctic Monkeys to enter for us? Or Dizzee Rascal?
Each country has their own criteria; some countries have a vote among candidates who submit to Eurovision themselves, others have a vote among candidates hand-selected by committees in each country; some countries have a panel of judges who select their representative after an American Idol-type forum, and some countries just have fascist systems where like one guy just picks the representative.

I don't know about the UK, but I'm pretty sure you have to apply.

Actually good bands would never risk their reputation at Eurovision -- going to the contest or even winning it is a stigma of complete trashiness for most, if not all the winners (with the exception of maybe Celine Dion and ABBA).

I'll be posting a review of last night's semi-final soon
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote