Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #15350 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

There was a lot of downtime (4-12 minutes) between calls today, so I was trying to enjoy myself and read a book. People around me were engaging in completely stupid and senseless conversations, which really is not unusual. (The day after the VMAs, a girl on my team went on about the Miley/Robin Thicke performance the entire shift. I actually ended up keeping a tally sheet on my desk of how many times "twerk" was said by her that day: 43, and that doesn't include the significant amount of times she said it BEFORE I kept count.)

Anyway, just completely asinine things are kind of amusing. I'll chat about music, TV, books, movies, and normal "water cooler" conversation, but some people have no idea what is work appropriate. And even worse to me, and the reason I'm bitching, is the people who try to enrich their work conversation with things they feel make them sound intelligent, but are COMPLETELY INCORRECT.

Case in point:

Dude on my team was going on about how he was a grammar nazi (bitching about the memos this one particular customer care center leaves on accounts, which are so bad they're almost unreadable) and then goes on to give a "grammar lesson" on the proper usage of the words 'well' and 'good'.

According to him, you use well when talking about yourself, and good when talking about someone else. Wrong, wrong, WRONG! I lowered my book slightly, debating on whether or not I should turn around and set him straight, but decided against it. I'm intrigued, however, as to how an adverb is the correct usage no matter what else goes on in the sentence in first person, an adjective in second/third.

He also went on a rant about how someone's memo was wrong because they noted that 'monies should be credited back,' which is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT from a financial or business standpoint, but he insisted that monies is not a word.

And don't even GET ME STARTED on his ignorant, incorrect assessment of psychedelics (pro-psychedelic, but claiming they don't affect brain chemistry and that this is a lie) and fallacious argument against pharmaceutical drugs...

On a likely related note, I'm still adjusting to my Celexa, and Friday will be four weeks without a cigarette, so I'm probably more irritable than usual.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote