Music Banter - View Single Post - Is extreme metal boring now?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #36 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Ok, you asked me the question about a specific song and I was responding. Seems a little odd that you'd be made weary by someone answering a question that you asked, but ok.
Oh sorry man I didn't mean to come over all pouty. It's just that I don't hear the melody and so I'd jsut rather that was accepted than I get pushed to sort of be forced to hear it. But you're right, I did ask the question. It was kind of rhetorical though I realise now that's not how it may have come across.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
I think I understand what you mean by melody, you mean harmony. No you will not find much harmony in most death metal because it utilize a lot of chromatic scales and semitones.

It is bouncing from full tones that produces the melody/harmony that you like, this is less prevalent when you are utilizing semitones, which is why a Morbid Angel album sounds like one long jazz instrumental.

You will however finds lots of melody in Black Metal especially bands that utilize symphonics. Dimmu Borgir is the most accessible of these bands for a newbie, but u have to listen to a lot satanist garb, so if that's not your bag try the first Ulver album, or do a search for black folk metal.
Yes! Yes! This man gets it! Harmony, that's what I mean! Lovely girls, her and her sister Melody! Yeah I think that's what I was trying to convey all right: I hear no harmony in SOME extreme metal. Not all, but some. Thanks for that!