Music Banter - View Single Post - Subjective Justification; A Scruples Game
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Carpe Mortem
Crusher of tiny Nords

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Nah. The question is obviously a loaded one meant to make you separate your personal tastes from whatever passes for objective morality. No harm, no fowl.

If you consider illegal music downloading to be stealing, does that mean that someone who does it is as reprehensible as someone who steals a CD from a store?
Even though I no longer approve of illegal music downloading in my old age, I'd have to say that it is not as bad as taking a direct physical item from a store. Artists are aware that digital copies of their music are made over and over again, it's old news and the smart ones take it into consideration when marketing or figuring out finances.

On the other hand, a physical copy of that music is a bit more sacred, something that helps to balance any losses from downloads. And something for the consumer to show off. I'm more likely to high five someone who owns a cd collection than someone who owns an mp3 collection. You get a fuller package when you have a physical representation of the sound, getting the tracklist and insets, etc. It's similar to printing a picture off the internet and putting it in a frame, versus purchasing an original canvas. Leave the canvases for those who deserve them.

If given the choice between a charming, smart child's life, or the life of two philanthropists' who have done a great deal of good in the world, which would you save?

Be Loving & Open With
My Emotions
Carpe Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote