Subjective Justification; A Scruples Game - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crusher of tiny Nords
 
Carpe Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
Posts: 1,143
Default Subjective Justification; A Scruples Game

This game could be really fun, or really disastrous, depending on how mature you are. We'll see how it goes.

Quandary gets posted. Person after explains rationally, without bringing up morality, why it's right or wrong. In other words, the explanation can't just be 'it's the right thing to do' or 'that's just plain sick'. That's copping out of critical thinking, which is the whole point of this game.

Then post your own scruples scenario/question and the cycle goes on!

Some quick ground rules to keep this running smoothly, try to follow them:

1. Take your arguments elsewhere, don't muddy up a fun thread because you disagree with something someone said. Make your own not fun thread or message them personally, drama queens.
2. Brevity, dudes. A wise man says much but talks little, don't write a ****in essay.
3. Chitchat at a minimum overall. By all means have some friendly commentary on the prior poster's justification, but keep in mind that the MAIN POINT of YOUR POST is to explain your own rationality on your given quandary.


I'll start us off with something light:

Is it okay to take somebody's belongings if they owe you money and haven't paid in a timely fashion?
__________________
[SIG][/SIG]
Mirth is King


Be Loving & Open With
My Emotions

Last edited by Carpe Mortem; 05-17-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Carpe Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,128
Default

I'm going to say no on the grounds that it's going to create further bad blood between two people; cut your losses and run when you loan money to friends, and don't be surprised when they don't, or can't pay up. That's been a very valuable life lesson to me that has saved a few of my friendships. I just don't loan money anymore.

Anyways, the further fighting it would cause is probably not worth the argument, unless the sum is substantial, in which case there are other channels to reclaim what's yours.

Is it wrong for a guy to have sex with a raw chicken, clean it out, cook off any bacteria, and then eat it?*

* Real question from a real psychology study of morality; fun!

EDIT: Also, best of luck keeping this threat squabble-free. Lol.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brain Licker
 
Xurtio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,082
Default

I don't understand how all arguments won't ultimately boil down to an axiom of moral philosophy.
__________________
H̓̇̅̉yͤ͏mͬ͂ͧn͑̽̽̌ͪ̑͐͟o̴͊̈́͑̇m͛͌̓ͦ̑aͫ̽ͤ̇n̅̎͐̒ͫ͐c̆ͯͫ̋ ̔̃́eͯ͒rͬͬ̄҉
Xurtio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Is it wrong for a guy to have sex with a raw chicken, clean it out, cook off any bacteria, and then eat it?*

* Real question from a real psychology study of morality; fun!

EDIT: Also, best of luck keeping this threat squabble-free. Lol.
Nah. The question is obviously a loaded one meant to make you separate your personal tastes from whatever passes for objective morality. No harm, no fowl.

If you consider illegal music downloading to be stealing, does that mean that someone who does it is as reprehensible as someone who steals a CD from a store?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

*foul ....,
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
*foul ....,
Some people just don't know funny.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crusher of tiny Nords
 
Carpe Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
Posts: 1,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Nah. The question is obviously a loaded one meant to make you separate your personal tastes from whatever passes for objective morality. No harm, no fowl.

If you consider illegal music downloading to be stealing, does that mean that someone who does it is as reprehensible as someone who steals a CD from a store?
Even though I no longer approve of illegal music downloading in my old age, I'd have to say that it is not as bad as taking a direct physical item from a store. Artists are aware that digital copies of their music are made over and over again, it's old news and the smart ones take it into consideration when marketing or figuring out finances.

On the other hand, a physical copy of that music is a bit more sacred, something that helps to balance any losses from downloads. And something for the consumer to show off. I'm more likely to high five someone who owns a cd collection than someone who owns an mp3 collection. You get a fuller package when you have a physical representation of the sound, getting the tracklist and insets, etc. It's similar to printing a picture off the internet and putting it in a frame, versus purchasing an original canvas. Leave the canvases for those who deserve them.

If given the choice between a charming, smart child's life, or the life of two philanthropists' who have done a great deal of good in the world, which would you save?
__________________
[SIG][/SIG]
Mirth is King


Be Loving & Open With
My Emotions
Carpe Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Mortem View Post
If given the choice between a charming, smart child's life, or the life of two philanthropists' who have done a great deal of good in the world, which would you save?
I would pick the child because the philanthropists have already done such a great deal of good, the child has more potential to do so and hasn't yet had the chance to do any good (or evil, the smart ones can go either way). There is the chance that the child could turn out to be a little prick and it would end up being a bad decision, but the philanthropists have already potentially done so much and took up more of what life had to offer while the child has had a very limited scope of life thus far.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I would pick the child because the philanthropists have already done such a great deal of good, the child has more potential to do so and hasn't yet had the chance to do any good (or evil, the smart ones can go either way). There is the chance that the child could turn out to be a little prick and it would end up being a bad decision, but the philanthropists have already potentially done so much and took up more of what life had to offer while the child has had a very limited scope of life thus far.
...And your question?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Nah. The question is obviously a loaded one meant to make you separate your personal tastes from whatever passes for objective morality. No harm, no fowl.
Exactly; it was a study to see if people can differentiate between something that's morally reprehensible, and something that's just gross. A similar question asked if it was wrong of a brother and sister to have had sex if they were well protected and both felt that the experience had strengthened their relationship.

As for the chicken thing, I think it's only wrong if he serves it to anyone else, because it then poses the potential to cause them psychological harm if they were to ever find out.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.