Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #8543 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
I'm an hour east of you along the Jersey coast. ~15 exits north of AC on the Parkway. Any venue suggestions/websites you can give me? I just moved down here in December to go back to college.

The only place I know is the Trocadero in Philly.
The first thing I'd say if you're into indie type stuff is check out R5 Productions and maybe get on their mailing list. They organize a lot of indie (and metal and alt hip-hop) shows around Philly in both traditional venues and non-traditional venues like the First Unitarian Church basement, which is kind of a Philly staple.

The Trocadero is a pretty good venue. Here are some others you might like:
  • Johnny Brenda's—Great layout, a little smaller than the Troc.
  • Union Transfer—Also a great layout, slightly bigger than the Troc.
  • Theater of Living Arts—Roughly equivalent to the Troc.
  • Underground Arts—Mid-size basement venue.
  • Kung Fu Necktie—One of my favorite places in Philly, lots of character, small and a great place to see a show.
  • North Star Bar—Small, intimate, low-key.
  • Boot & Saddle—Fairly new place that I haven't been to yet but I hear it's pretty intimate.
  • Electric Factory—The biggest venue in Philly that isn't a concert hall or stadium. A lot of times they get pretty crappy acts but sometimes they surprise you.
  • The Mann Center—Large outdoor venue on the site of the former world's fair. Despite being one of those big venues with lawn seats and whatnot it's still pretty nice.
  • The M Room—For very small-time local metal, hardcore and punk type bands. Quality varies but it can be fun.
  • World Cafe Live—More of a roots/world/jazz kind of place than the venues above. One of the most comfortable venues I've ever been to.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote