Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #899 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Default the death penalty

this thread was triggered by the execution of Van Nguyen, a 25 year old Australian citizen executed by hanging today in Singapore. he was caught smuggling a pound of heroin.

I was horrified, can you imagine being in his situation? granted, Singapore's laws about drug trafficking are well known and he made a conscious decision and took the risk that eventually cost him his life, but still, to end someone's life for a pound of heroin......unthinkable.

in the united states, Kenneth Lee Boyd became the 1000th person to be executed since the capital punishment was reinstated ( in 1976 the first death sentence after the reinstatement was enforced in Utah, a man was killed by a firing squad.....this was 1976 ). regardless of the fact that the man was guilty of a heinous crime, I am against the death penalty, only God has the right to decide when someone dies. it's a barbaric act and I simply cannot believe that people are still doing it in the 21st century. it's inhumane and obviously does not serve as a deterrent. people will still commit these crimes. so what is it's purpose? retaliation? an eye for an eye? I could see that being a just cause for killing someone a thousand years ago, but at this stage of human development?

on the other hand, Tookie Williams, the founder of the infamous Crips, is also awaiting execution.there are a lot of people fighting to keep him alive, famous people and I understand he has changed his ways, but he has still killed at least 4 people, and lets be real here, highly likely more than that. is his life more valuable than others awaiting execution?

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote