Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 02:23 AM   #14317 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's moving, exciting, has good characters, an interesting premise and interesting setting.
Agree for the most part. Yet it all doesn't culminate into a great film for this viewer. It's never really riveting. It's well directed but very predictable. When the character are(considering the circumstances)fairly go lucky, even keeping hollywood machismo in mind, it's hard to ever feel the tension and uncertainty the premise of this movie would have you expect. Bud sacrifices himself so often by the end of the film your desensitized to it. I could list quite a few just obscene instances that take you out of the film as well.
Spoiler for spoilers:
For example, on Bud's way to disarm the bomb he is already introduced to the aliens-or what have you's-light. No mention of it is made during the scene. So for this seemingly emotional gripping scene we are constantly aware that even if Bud dies the aliens are literally right around the corner. It's hard to to have much desire for Bud to succeed because you know the aliens are going to save him sooner or later

Quote:
I don't think the movie ever says they are aliens either. They clearly live on Earth so I'd say that makes them not aliens.
Fair enough. You can't assert they aren't aliens either. Still an alien species regardless of how you look at it.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote