What's The Latest Film You Have Seen? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #14311 (permalink)
Out of Place
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house
Posts: 4,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
They aren't aliens. Also, that movie is great, second only to the Terminator movies and Aliens in his catalog IMO.
i like it as well but they aren't aliens?? i thought they were but then again i saw that film as a kid and i didn't understand everything in the film but from what i remember the "aliens" weren't evil and tried to kill us humans they were just chilling underwater until the humans discovered them.
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #14312 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
I just watched Snowpiercer. I'm going to write it up tomorrow.

SEE THIS MOVIE. It's on VOD right now for like seven bucks and well worth it. Hell, it's still in some theaters. You have no excuse bob. It's a riot and also incredibly badass. Watch it.
I got the ending spoiled for me but I'm watching it tonight.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #14313 (permalink)
Buzz Killjoy
 
BastardofYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
the abyss.

Probably the worst james cameron flick. It's clear cameron just wanted to build a fun submarine world he could play in and wrap a movie around. Some super lame aliens. Bland unmemorable characters. Film looked great. Felt at times like "aliens" in underwater, minus well the cool aliens.
I take it you have not seen Piranha II....
__________________
last.fm

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #14314 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
They aren't aliens. Also, that movie is great, second only to the Terminator movies and Aliens in his catalog IMO.
How is the movie great?
How are you sure they aren't aliens? The movie never says they aren't aliens. The giant alien ship would suggest they are aliens.
When was the last time you saw it?

Maybe it just hasn't aged very well? It's just not a very good movie. The main female protagonist seems like she was cast to be the sigourney weaver equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
I take it you have not seen Piranha II....
nope. haha. I may enjoy it though, ill add it to my list.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #14315 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

I thought The Abyss was pretty awful too. The Terminator films and Aliens are the only Cameron films I've liked. His films are just too pretentious for me, and that's saying a lot.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 PM   #14316 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
How is the movie great?
It's moving, exciting, has good characters, an interesting premise and interesting setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
How are you sure they aren't aliens? The movie never says they aren't aliens.
I don't think the movie ever says they are aliens either. They clearly live on Earth so I'd say that makes them not aliens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
The giant alien ship would suggest they are aliens.
The humans also have a giant ship but that doesn't make them aliens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
When was the last time you saw it?
Two or three years ago.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:23 AM   #14317 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's moving, exciting, has good characters, an interesting premise and interesting setting.
Agree for the most part. Yet it all doesn't culminate into a great film for this viewer. It's never really riveting. It's well directed but very predictable. When the character are(considering the circumstances)fairly go lucky, even keeping hollywood machismo in mind, it's hard to ever feel the tension and uncertainty the premise of this movie would have you expect. Bud sacrifices himself so often by the end of the film your desensitized to it. I could list quite a few just obscene instances that take you out of the film as well.
Spoiler for spoilers:
For example, on Bud's way to disarm the bomb he is already introduced to the aliens-or what have you's-light. No mention of it is made during the scene. So for this seemingly emotional gripping scene we are constantly aware that even if Bud dies the aliens are literally right around the corner. It's hard to to have much desire for Bud to succeed because you know the aliens are going to save him sooner or later


Quote:
I don't think the movie ever says they are aliens either. They clearly live on Earth so I'd say that makes them not aliens.
Fair enough. You can't assert they aren't aliens either. Still an alien species regardless of how you look at it.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:31 AM   #14318 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
I just watched Snowpiercer. I'm going to write it up tomorrow.

SEE THIS MOVIE. It's on VOD right now for like seven bucks and well worth it. Hell, it's still in some theaters. You have no excuse bob. It's a riot and also incredibly badass. Watch it.
Just watched this. Very good movie. It's reminiscent of oldboy, in that it's believable but not at all logical. Some crazy demented humor.

Have to geek out and say i think thiswould have made for a great video game. Similar to Bioshock in some instances(even has some FPS gun angles). Tilda Swinton can play a cold hearted bitch like no other. The film is so linear, you follow the same character going straight, level by level, in one direction. I love these kinds of ryhtmic, point to point films, the new judge dredd is another example of this. It feels rewarding to gain inisght piece by piece.
Curious to read the original comic it's based on now.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #14319 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Agree for the most part. Yet it all doesn't culminate into a great film for this viewer. It's never really riveting. It's well directed but very predictable. When the character are(considering the circumstances)fairly go lucky, even keeping hollywood machismo in mind, it's hard to ever feel the tension and uncertainty the premise of this movie would have you expect. Bud sacrifices himself so often by the end of the film your desensitized to it. I could list quite a few just obscene instances that take you out of the film as well.
Spoiler for spoilers:
For example, on Bud's way to disarm the bomb he is already introduced to the aliens-or what have you's-light. No mention of it is made during the scene. So for this seemingly emotional gripping scene we are constantly aware that even if Bud dies the aliens are literally right around the corner. It's hard to to have much desire for Bud to succeed because you know the aliens are going to save him sooner or later
Not sure I really follow what you're getting at. He does a few heroic things in the movie—not unusual for the main character in a James Cameron film—and none of that desensitizes me to any later heroic acts.

As far as your spoiler comment goes...

Spoiler for spoiler:
Why would I assume they'd save him? You don't know if they're friend or foe until pretty much the end of the movie. The first time I saw it I certainly hoped they would, but that's most movies—you hope that things work out in the end but you don't really know where its going for sure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Fair enough. You can't assert they aren't aliens either. Still an alien species regardless of how you look at it.
Sure I can, based on the fact that they live on Earth.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #14320 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Not sure I really follow what you're getting at. He does a few heroic things in the movie—not unusual for the main character in a James Cameron film—and none of that desensitizes me to any later heroic acts.
Yes, so we can at least agree it was very formulaic. Something I minded more than you.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Why would I assume they'd save him? You don't know if they're friend or foe until pretty much the end of the movie. The first time I saw it I certainly hoped they would, but that's most movies—you hope that things work out in the end but you don't really know where its going for sure.


Because it was blatant, and easy to deduce? Either you are very easily surprised or being intentionally coy. They/it had a positive encounter with the female prior.

Quote:
Sure I can, based on the fact that they live on Earth.
Fine. The imdb synopsis reads the following:
Quote:
A civilian diving team are enlisted to search for a lost nuclear submarine and face danger while encountering an alien aquatic species.
Though admittedly, IMDB isn't necessarily a bastion for truth

Last edited by Sparky; 07-27-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.