Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
Carpe Mortem
Crusher of tiny Nords

Mainstream music acts are basically actors and actresses. Industry big wigs decide on a set, or badass stage show and general theme, then find people who fit the part physically and personality wise. This is because the radio masses are more likely to consider a concert with enormous props and amazing lighting, interesting, than a talented musician. Ask anyone who's not really into music about the best show they've been to, the stage is the first thing mentioned with the auditory experience an afterthought.

People who can afford to make an awesome set, or know others willing to help them, also have an opportunity to break into the mainstream. Its all about marketing a performer... not a musician. Personally, I'm not bothered by it. Just look at what they do as a different kind of art.

And of course... there are exceptions. But mainly its about money, luck, or connections. Bigger record companies see trends going slightly in one direction then push it a million times further in that direction by signing tons of artists in that general category who are marketable personas.

Since we're discussing conspiracy theories. Thats mine. Just thought of it.

Be Loving & Open With
My Emotions
Carpe Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote