Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Mortem View Post
Mainstream music acts are basically actors and actresses. Industry big wigs decide on a set, or badass stage show and general theme, then find people who fit the part physically and personality wise. This is because the radio masses are more likely to consider a concert with enormous props and amazing lighting, interesting, than a talented musician. Ask anyone who's not really into music about the best show they've been to, the stage is the first thing mentioned with the auditory experience an afterthought.

People who can afford to make an awesome set, or know others willing to help them, also have an opportunity to break into the mainstream. Its all about marketing a performer... not a musician. Personally, I'm not bothered by it. Just look at what they do as a different kind of art.

And of course... there are exceptions. But mainly its about money, luck, or connections. Bigger record companies see trends going slightly in one direction then push it a million times further in that direction by signing tons of artists in that general category who are marketable personas.

Since we're discussing conspiracy theories. Thats mine. Just thought of it.
First off, THANKS, really great perspectives here.

I agree with you on this because there are alot of industry folk that kiss the asses of some of the most overrated artists and I have no clue as to why. I think it is apart of a script for artists to follow and to say about other artists.

I know that its not professional to publicly bad mouth another artist but some of these compliments these bland current pop stars receive is so ridiculous to the point you would think they were talking about Mozart. LOL Either that or they are getting paid to or they smoking something.... lol

For some reason current popular music doesn't seem to be about "music" and more so about image. It wasn't like that years ago. Image played a role of course but it wasn't the only means to how a pop star became popular.

Its sickening. We have little girls looking up to these hyper sexual singers and they want to be like them. smh There is nothing "cute" about that.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote