Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #46 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

I understand your main point about casual music listeners, but I dont understand why it would matter what they listen to then. Youve been talking about Janelle Monae being a superstar, but if that only means bringing her into an audience that is self-admitted to being indifferent to music, why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92
However, what I do find issue with is the media telling me a generic song is prolific when it is not or calling a pop star a "songwriter" or "artist" when they are not.
er well prolific literally describes a popular song, so maybe you got the words wrong there? But if you mean "great" then tomato, tomahto. People will always disagree what is "great". Not sure why using the word "artist" would upset you either. It's a reasonable describer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92
I love pop music as well. I love all types of music actually. It is just sad to see the destruction pop music has turned into over the past 15-20 years. Music goes into waves and trends do shift but there is a undeniable difference in this generation of pop stars and music compared to previous decades. Whether you listen to pop or not, if you call yourself a music listener I think it is something interesting to talk about.
Well sure theres a difference. But imo it's not a bad one. Ill take pop from the 2010s over pop from the 1960s anyday. It might be an interesting topic, but usually when it's discussed it just turns into a shit throwing contest to glorify older music ad nauseam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylstew
There's nothing wrong with liking mainstream music, I don't see the problem in that. I do see a problem with mindless, spoonfed sheep.
Not everyone loves music, so what?
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote