Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter top 500-A response to the Rolling Stone 500
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Chips Fontaine
Groupie

Default The Music Banter top 500-A response to the Rolling Stone 500

From now until the end of the year lets attempt to have some fun.

In this thread, post your top 20 favorite records in your order of preference. Meaning, if Gun's and Roses Chinese Democracy is your personal all time favorite album, you would rank it at number 1.

How is this going to work?

At the end of the year, I will go through all the lists, hopefully we will have a massive landslide of lists, and tabulate them using this formula:

The record with the lowest number of combined rankings will be considered the best album of all time.

Examples.

Lets say based on three peoples rankings, GnR's Chinese Democracy had rankings of 1, 10, and 20. That would be a combined score of 31.

Now, lets say the Beatles Rubber Soul was also in 3 peoples rankings, and those rankings were 1, 1, and 5, for a combined score of 7.

Rubber Soul would be ranked higher than Chinese Democracy.

Is that easy enough?

But what do we do if a lot of people only rank rare, obscure records and we have a bunch of one-sees.

Well, we really want a lot of input from everyone, so the more lists, the better our overall list will be. Will we actually get 500 records? I don't know, but we can try, and I willing to do all the work tabulating everything at the end. ( I'm a spreadsheet master!)

This will run starting now until the very end of the year, if this thread takes off we can prolong it but this will run at least until December 31, Admin approved of course.

The only requirement is, you have to be a member here.

Of course discussions are always encouraged as are blurbs associated to the albums you choose to rank.

Lets have some fun, post your top 20 of all time!

Chips Fontaine
Chips Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote