|Register||Blogging||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|08-09-2014, 11:12 AM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jul 2014
The Music Banter top 500-A response to the Rolling Stone 500
From now until the end of the year lets attempt to have some fun.
In this thread, post your top 20 favorite records in your order of preference. Meaning, if Gun's and Roses Chinese Democracy is your personal all time favorite album, you would rank it at number 1.
How is this going to work?
At the end of the year, I will go through all the lists, hopefully we will have a massive landslide of lists, and tabulate them using this formula:
The record with the lowest number of combined rankings will be considered the best album of all time.
Lets say based on three peoples rankings, GnR's Chinese Democracy had rankings of 1, 10, and 20. That would be a combined score of 31.
Now, lets say the Beatles Rubber Soul was also in 3 peoples rankings, and those rankings were 1, 1, and 5, for a combined score of 7.
Rubber Soul would be ranked higher than Chinese Democracy.
Is that easy enough?
But what do we do if a lot of people only rank rare, obscure records and we have a bunch of one-sees.
Well, we really want a lot of input from everyone, so the more lists, the better our overall list will be. Will we actually get 500 records? I don't know, but we can try, and I willing to do all the work tabulating everything at the end. ( I'm a spreadsheet master!)
This will run starting now until the very end of the year, if this thread takes off we can prolong it but this will run at least until December 31, Admin approved of course.
The only requirement is, you have to be a member here.
Of course discussions are always encouraged as are blurbs associated to the albums you choose to rank.
Lets have some fun, post your top 20 of all time!
|08-09-2014, 12:46 PM||#2 (permalink)|
The Big Dog
Join Date: Apr 2011
I genuinely had this idea once before but I thought the amount of time and effort it would take to calculate this as well as actually getting the people involved would be a nightmare.
I am so up for this though, Chips. It's a cracking idea.
We'd need 25 members to participate and none of their choices to match though to make 500. Perhaps just a top 100/200 would be more feasible. However, get one of the Mod's to sticky this.
Let me have until this time tomorrow to contemplate the ordering of my top 20 and I'll give you the first submission.
(EDIT: Pretty sure this came straight from SOMB - use of the word 'Admin' but never mind, glad someone brought it up)
|08-09-2014, 12:59 PM||#4 (permalink)|
cooler commie than elph
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
This is a brilliant idea and I will contribute.
|08-09-2014, 01:05 PM||#5 (permalink)|
The Big Dog
Join Date: Apr 2011
|08-09-2014, 01:10 PM||#6 (permalink)|
the worst guy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
I will never be completely happy with this, but here's where I stand as of right now.
20 Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate (1971)
19 The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge (1983)
18 Slowdive - Souvlaki (1993)
17 The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland (1968)
16 Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica (1969)
15 Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords (1995)
14 K Dot O Dot - Trap Jesus (2011)
13 The Replacements - Tim (1985)
12 The Fall - Live at the Witch Trials (1979)
11 Madvillain - Madvillainy (2004)
10 Catherine Wheel - Ferment (1992)
9 Luxuria - Unanswerable Lust (1988)
8 The Gris Gris - The Gris Gris (2004)
7 The Church - Priest = Aura (1992)
6 Boom Bip & Dose One - Circle (2000)
5 The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (1989)
4 The Auteurs - New Wave (1993)
3 El-P - Fantastic Damage (2002)
2 Catherine Wheel - Chrome (1993)
1 Aesop Rock - Labor Days (2001)
I've already edited the list lol
|08-09-2014, 02:16 PM||#7 (permalink)|
The Big Dog
Join Date: Apr 2011
Right, here goes.
20. The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I (1999)
19. Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)
18. Pulp - Different Class (1995)
17. The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past (2012)
16. Genesis - Invisible Touch (1986)
15. Captain We're Sinking - The Future is Cancelled (2013)
14. The Weeknd - House of Balloons (2011)
13. The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation (2013)
12. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free (2004)
11. Elliott Smith - Either/Or (1997)
10. This Town Needs Guns - Animals (2008)
9. Danny Brown - XXX (2011)
8. Jimmy Eat World - Clarity (1999)
7. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998)
6. The Wrens - Meadowlands (2003)
5. Arab Strap - Philophobia (1998)
4. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, Mad City (2012)
3. Weezer - Pinkerton (1996)
2. Brand New - The Devil & God Are Raging Inside of Me (2006)
1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)
|08-09-2014, 02:35 PM||#8 (permalink)|
Join Date: Mar 2008
20. Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram (1971)
19. Tom Petty - Wildflowers (1994)
18. Heartless Bastards - Arrow (2012)
17. Ween - The Mollusk (1997)
16. Wilco - Summerteeth (1999)
15. Fanfarlo - Reservoir (2009)
14. Klaatu - Hope (1977)
13. Built To Spill - Keep It Like A Secret (1999)
12. Pretty Things - S. F. Sorrow (1968)
11. Jack Drag - The Suin Inside (2002)
10. Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks (1967)
9. Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On (1997)
8. Love - Forever Changes (1967)
7. Jack Drag - Soft Songs LP: Aviating (2000)
6. Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
5. Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) (1968)
4. Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (1999)
3. Eels - Beautiful Freak (1996)
2. Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)
1. Zombies - Odessey & Oracle (1968)
What It Is
|08-09-2014, 02:55 PM||#9 (permalink)|
Zum Henker Defätist!!
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
I'm gonna try for this, but don't expect it anytime soon. I'm not much for ranking things, so this is going to take a while even to come up with the albums I'll be considering.
|08-09-2014, 03:00 PM||#10 (permalink)|
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.