Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Hip Hop Destroying American Youth?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
i agree with this, blame the rappers who choose to rap about materialistic sh*t all the time instead of always blaming the record companies who put out their albums.

cause really they are just the mediator, if a rapper only knows how to rap using gangsta stories that's what he is gonna write about and if there is an audience for that kind of thing you bet record companies will expose him and make money out of him but it's the rapper who initially decides how he is gonna portray himself.

i don't think you can manufacture depth in an artist that's something that is up to the individual. for exmpl ppl luv Tupac and biggie but even them rapped about materialistic sh*t and talked about drug dealing and murdering ppl BUT they also made tracks that spoke about problems in society and within their very own hip hop culture and it was THEM who decided to show that kind of depth not their record company.
I think they both collectively are to blame. However, the real culprit are the record labels because they make the judgement call at the end of the day. Its just sad that the rappers nowadays don't have the balls to speak out against being portrayed a certain way. It appears the rappers just care about money versus how they are depicted even if they are depicted in a racial stereotypical way.

You can manufacture depth in an artist if you give certain rules and guidelines on how they should express themselves. That forces artists to inhibit their artistic freedom. Now there are some that don't care about being mainstream but even for the rappers that do care about popularity they still like you said, play a role in the decline of the culture.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote